Saturday, October 11, 2008

Random Thoughts

I know, I know. Your all thinking, "holy crap, this is her THIRD post today. Does this girl NOT have a life?!?" Well, truth be told...no, I don't. Actually, my children went to bed early tonight and Mike has yet to call me, so here I am all bored and stuff. So, I decided to do one of those random thoughts posts. Since I have a lot of time to think about random stuff. Now, I don't know how many random thoughts I'll be able to get to before one of my kids wakes up and is ready to party all night long, but I'll give it a shot.

Random thought #1. I have recently discovered the joys of blog stalking. I have met some fun (and funn-y) people through the blogging world. And I got to thinking, this is a pretty popular thing, probably more popular than on line dating. Which got me thinking, why is on line dating looked down upon so much? I know it is gaining popularity now-a-days, but people who would never have even give on line dating a second thought have no problems creating a blog and blog surfing to meet new people. Granted, most people who create blogs are not doing so with the intent on finding their one and only eternal companion, but still, your just as likely to come across weirdos...right? I mean, I remember in my earlier years thinking that on-line dating is the ULTIMATE act of desperation. I will NEVER be THAT desperate. Then I started meeting and dating weirdos I met the "normal" way and decided to swallow my pride and try it out. And low and behold...met my wonderful hubby and also met some other great people along the way.

Random thought #2. (haha, I said #2, hehe) Speaking of blog stalking. I was reading this girls blog and reading about when she was home alone and she got a weird phone call from a strange old man, and how she got thinking about all the scary possibilities. As I was reading, an onion randomly rolled off the top of my refrigerator and landed on the cheese grater sitting on the counter and made a huge *clank* and I think I may have peed a little. Good time, good times. I hate being home alone. It's a good thing I have a big ferocious dog and a gun. :)


Random thought #3. I want cup cakes!! Chocolate ones.

Random thought #4. Have any of you read the book "Love You Forever". I know Mary has. It's one of her favorites. It's Jacob's favorite too. I always thought this was a really cute book as well. But now that I've read it a few thousand times, I'm beginning to see some disturbing things. What kind of a mother drives across town on dark nights and if all the lights in her sons house are out, climbs in the window and sneaks across the floor and picks him up of the bed and rocks him like a baby. Now realistically, if a grown man found himself being lifted out of bed in the dark of night, he would probably knock the person out. I know I would. I know I would at least wake up and freak out. Of course if she's strong enough to pick up a full grown man, and in the book he looks like a pretty sturdy bloke, maybe she's not the kind of woman you want to be throwing punches at. I don't know. Either way, now when I read this book, I can't help but think, "Man...this woman needs some serious help. Someone get her a shrink". If I were the son, I would have gotten her counseling already, and put double locks on all my windows and doors. I don't know about you, but I think someone needs to cut the apron strings. (I hope your not offended Mary. I still love you and will continue reading the book to him and playing your CD for him.)

Random thought #4. I can't wait to move. (Thus the count down.) Don't get me wrong. I love Kansas City. I just don't like this house. I was way excited to move in. But, this place really was fabulous after our last apartment. Or maybe it just seemed like that at first, because we were so sleep deprived. Who can sleep with raccoons climbing around in your walls and having babies in your ceiling. Oh, and lets not forget the domestic disturbances next door. I don't know. But when I saw this house, I thought, Great! It's big, the kitchen is HUGE (still love that part), there's a basement for storage and a garage! Nice landlords (still love that too). What's not to love? Sure it smells, but once we move in it will go away. Right??? WRONG!! I don't know what the smell is for sure. I figured it was just because it was an old house and that once we moved all our stuff in, "our smell" would replace the weird funky one. But we have been here for 3 1/2 years and IT'S STILL HERE! We keep thinking we finally got rid of it. Then we go on vacation or something and come back and realize that it never went away, we just got use to it. We've tried everything, fabreeze, steam cleaning the carpet, TONS of air freshener. I am pretty sure the smell we are smelling, (or rather not smelling, because we are use to the smell) is old stale cigarette smoke. I didn't figure it out originally, because it doesn't smell like cigarette smoke. But, the smell does change after several years in the carpet. I am pretty sure that's what it is, based on the fact that previous tenants smoked. At least I'm pretty sure they did, judging by the cigarette samples we used to get in the mail when we first moved in and the fact that there is a small burn in the middle of the living room carpet. I am pretty sure the only way to get rid of the smell is to replace ALL the carpet. And that's not gonna happen while we're here. So, for the next 7 months, I have to put up with worrying about what people think when they walk into my house and breath. "Oh my gosh...what is that SMELL?? Just smile and act like you don't notice." There are several other things that are starting to get on my nerves, but I will save that for another day. Now, I have to end this nice little ramble fest and talk to my husband before I go to bed. Laters!!

7 comments:

Mary said...

It is my all time favorite children's book...but I agree about the creepy over-protective mother!!!

Did you know you have 2, #4's?

If you have shampoo'd the carpets already, then the only thing I can suggest is painting the walls/removing old wallpaper. I don't know what you have, but I know that the smell gets everywhere!!!

You are going to have to share some of your fav blogs you have found. I think you and Brittany are just about done with me stalking yours ;-)

dust and kam said...

Oh the joys of online dating. Fun times, but I don't miss it.

I can totally relate about the smell in your house. We are going on almost 4 years... we can still smell something smoky or something... and we have replaced the carpet and painted. Ugh. Oh well.

I love blog stalking. :) I try not to do it anymore. I have like 200 blogs I try to keep up with. I don't think I can add any more. Bummer.

Wendyburd1 said...

I LOVE blog stalking, I have only been at it a lil while, but so far, I have met the coolest people! And maybe it's because I'm new, I have written multi posts in a night...I KNOW I have no life...how I have so much to write so far...no clue!! I welcome stalkers...just the good kind though!!

Michelle said...

Wow, I guess that's what happens when ya post late at night. I actually posted this at about 11:30pm...not 7:59pm. I'll have to see about fixing my time. :)

Kamie, I never noticed a smell in your house. That gives me hope that maybe people don't notice the smell here. :)

Wendy, I'm pretty new at blog stalking as well. I have been pleasantly surprised by the people I've "met". Maybe one day I will make it to a meet and greet and meet some of you all for reals. :)

Debbie said...

You're so funny, Shelle! I agree, there do seem to be some mental health issues with the mother in that book. And apron string issues.

Whitney R said...

ME! I'm Number 2!!!

I'm sorry that my weird scary experience almost made you pee a little. It did the same thing to another one of my friends. She was reading the same part and the phone rang. haha.

Oh, I want a chocolate cupcake, too.

Brittany Marie said...

I didn't know about your raccoon problem. HAhahahahaha! That's awesome. Our first house has A Smell. But it was built in 1962 and had ghosts. I'm thinking it was the ghosts that stunk. And what were you thinking- with the Febreeze? I can't even spray that stuff now without smelling the aroma of Chuck. :p

Mary I am not sick of you coming to my blog and I'm not sick of going to yours!!!