Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing regularly and for the same reason"

Let me just start of my saying, I am a reformed lemming. I used to be a blind follower. Especially when it came to politics and voting. Whatever my parents voted for, I voted for. Mostly because I wasn’t really interested and didn’t really care. I did no research, I didn’t know anything about either candidate, or any issues going on. But, everyone said it was important to vote, so I voted and then just hoped for the best. However, in the past 10 or so years, I have come to understand WHY it is important to vote and just how important it is to do my research and know what is going on. Lately, I have been really passionate about being informed and trying to encourage others to be informed as well. And now that it is down to crunch time, I really feel strongly that I need to kick it up a notch with that encouragement. I don’t care what your final view point is on topics or who you decide to vote for, but I am big on encouraging people to make informed decisions. So, on that note, if you have already done your research, good on ya. Gold star for you!! If you are like most people though, you are probably just now thinking, “Holy MOLY, I have 2 1/2 weeks left. I better read up”. But then between feeding and bathing kids, work schedules, soccer practice, pedicure, walking the dog or taking care of other pets, classes and studying for finals, cooking meals, washing the car, checking the mail, paying bills, cursing the bills, burning the bills, yelling at the kids for getting messy when you just bathed them, taking the dog out AGAIN, going to the gym, BLOGGING etc. etc…it’s just impossible to find the TIME!! So I did some ground work for you and found some reliable sources for you to start with. Below is a list of links I found IF you are interested. If you know of any links that I missed that might also be helpful, please add them in a comment.

http://www.factcheck.org/
http://www.snopes.com/politics/politics.asp
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/
http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

Here are some links on prop 8

http://www.azvoter.blogspot.com/
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1352578267/bctid1784521903
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1352578267/bctid1784553601
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-glEL5SHE
http://standformarriage.com/

Just as a side note, I really don’t like either presidential candidate. So I will be writing myself in on the ballot. Feel free to do the same. If you vote for me, all your wildest dreams will come true. :)

14 comments:

Jillene said...

hahahaha!! Love the Napoleon video!! I too am not fond of either candidate. I need to go to some of the sites you have listed so that I cna pick the lesser of two evils--I don't even know if that is possible!!

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

http://www.smartvoter.org/2008/04/08/
This is also a GREAT website to see what is going to be voted on in your county.

Debbie said...

I'm totally voting for you Shelle! And Pedro! Wahoo!

Debbie said...

An interesting website about the presidential candidates:

http://www.neverfindout.org/

(Disclaimer: The ads aren't paid for by McCain, but they are clearly for McCain and against Obama.)

Mary said...

I am also a reformed lemming...and it drives my husband nuts sometimes that I don't agree with him. But, that is why we live in this great country and have the right to choose...even if it is the lesser of 2 evils ;-)

Debbie said...

One more - this one on marriage:

http://www.preservingmarriage.org/

Katelyn said...

Shelle, I'll be voting for you too! I have some pretty wild dreams though, so watch out! :)

Brittany Marie said...

I'm going to wear Que's Vote for Pedro shirt on Election Day.
(But I'll actually vote for you.)

Mandy said...

Thanks for the links and the good laugh.

Erin said...

Thank you for the helpful links. I need to do some homework before I vote in a couple of weeks, and these links totally help me. Really, thanks!

Wendyburd1 said...

LOL! I have never seen Napoleon Dynamite, but I love Jon Heder and have seen most of his other movies, he is so funny...although Blades of Glory SCARED me!!

I have voted as my dad did...but he is SO anti-Obama (well he likes neither really), I WANT to look at both to see who really would be better...I have started with Obama's website...there are a trillion issues!! Overwhelming! So thanks for the websites, maybe they will help...I still want Rudy Guliani...he rocked after 9/11!!

Brittany Marie said...

I like your Monster Mash music. LOL
Hey, did you get your oil vial? I was just wondering if it made it ok.

Whitney R said...

Will you do the Napoleon dance when you win?

Because if you can guarantee that I WILL put your name down.

Michelle said...

Um...I don't know if you WANT me to attempt the Napoleon dance. But if it will get me elected...I'LL DO IT!! :)