Saturday, October 11, 2008

Jalapenos anyone??

This year another family in the ward went in on a garden with us, (This picture was a few weeks after we planted) which worked out great since we were gone most of the summer. I think they got most of the tomatoes. There have been a few stragglers here and there since we've been back, but the main things we've been harvesting are peppers and basil. So far we've picked about 4 green peppers and there are about 10 more out there that are still to small to pick. (I hope they get there before the first freeze). The basil is totally out of control. I had to chop some down to get to the jalapenos. When I say chop, I mean CHOP. Like with an ax. Who knew basil stems could be as thick as tree branches. Okay, maybe not that thick. But they were thick. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since they got almost as tall as the tomato plants. I have a ton of it outside drying as we speak. So we will have no shortage of that through the winter months. Not only do we have what we planted this year, but we noticed a few weeks later that we also had some shooting up from what took seed last year.

Anyhoo...the point of this post...I have come to the conclusion, that even for 2 families, 1 jalapeno plant is probably PLENTY!! We have I think 3 or 4 plants out there. This is what I picked just a couple days ago.

There are a little over 3 dozen here. Can anyone say "jalapeno poppers"!! I am pretty sure that is what we will be doing with them. That was Marissa's idea. (sharer of the garden) If anyone else in the vicinity would like some of these (or basil) let me know. I highly doubt, even after the poppers and the salsa I plan to make, we will use them all. There are still several more out there almost ready to be picked as well.

12 comments:

Skylin said...

We slacked on the garden this year, we were trying to get the yard looking good for the wedding/reception, so we did flowers, but now vegies. =/ I even missed the peaches somehow! I went out one day and they were all on the ground! Sad. Green peppers sound really really good right now. Not so much jalapenos...

Mary said...

I am so glad you had success with your garden. My whole backyard is shaded...except for the very center. I struggled all year to keep my Canna lillies & Iris (gift from friend when Tyler died) alive. So, over time I gave up and was convinced I would never keep them alive. So, I look over after it had been a month with no rain...and they are thriving. I guess I was over watering them. I think I will just stick to bushes, I don't seem to kill those!

Michelle said...

I tend to ba a plant killer myself. I take no credit for this garden. It was all Mike and Marissa. Mike took care of our last years garden as well. He has a real talent when it comes to gardening.

Jillene said...

I myself am a plant killer. Maybe one day....

Brittany Marie said...

Jalepenos! Holy crap, don't let Que see that, he'll want to grow them next year. (They're dead to me).

The Faucheux's said...

Wow! I would love some of those. If you move up here we could certainly share a garden. I am not to sure about jalepeno's in the Pacific Northwest, but we tend to have an over abundance of berries!

Michelle said...

That's it. Brit, I am sending them to you. wahahahahaha!

Doris, I noticed all the berries over there. We went walking on a trail near my in-laws, and there were HUGE blackberry bushes EVERYWHERE!! All we've got here is stinking, annoying mulberry trees. UGH...Mulberries are dead to me.

Michelle said...

Oh. Jillene, if you want a plant that is impossible to kill, go with that one kind with the heart shaped leaves. Philodendron I think. Anyhoo, I got one of those from a boyfriend, then he dumped me. So I left it in my parents garage all summer to die. I came home at the end of summer and felt bad for taking it out on the poor plant. It was all shriveled up and brown, but I decided to water it anyways, and within a week or so it was alive and well. So there ya go. Murder-proof plant. :)

Brittany Marie said...

CRAP! I forgot to mail your oil vial today. I swear I'll do it on Monday.

Also, I like your toilet/blogging photo. Is the toilet seat up though? How does THAT work?

Whitney R said...

Yes! Stalk me please!!!


And those jalapeno's are pretty. But much too hot for me!

dust and kam said...

Mmm... jalepenos. I would love those. And I would love the basil even more. Mmmmm.....

Michelle said...

I wondered about the toilet seat as well. lol. No clue.