Saturday, October 4, 2008

Oh, the treasures that are to be found.


I gave Mike 2 (it actually turned into 4) hours to play computer games with his friend Jon the other day. In return I was granted 2 hours (would have taken 4, but I would have worried the whole time about what craziness I would come home to) to do whatever I wanted. I chose to go bargain shopping for books. ALL BY MYSELF!! It was glorious.

I am a big fan of second hand stores. Particularly, Goodwill. At least when it comes to finding books. The one closest to us has all sorts of good books. To get to these books you have to pass all the other fabulous stuff, like the olive green couch from the 70's that's selling for way more than should be legal for a used olive green couch. Then there are all the little nic nacs like candle holders, vases, picture frames, really old rusty kitchen utensils. Seriously, how is a person to resist such temptations. But, once you get to the books...look out. Here I come. I LOVE children's books. The majority of our children's books are used. Some I've gotten at garage sales and some I got from various second hand stores. But by far, Goodwill has the biggest selection of un-abused, used books. So here is where I spent my two hours. Sitting on the floor (don't even want to think of the germs I picked up) sorting through books. I got 20 books, all in EXCELLENT shape, for $10.00. In fact, most of them looked brand new. No chewed up covers or scribbled on pages, names written in the front, ripped or creased pages, etc. Nice shiny, crispy, beautiful looking books. My favorite finds of the day were a copy of one of my childhood favorites"The Box Car Children", "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", and a whole collection of Junie B. Jones books. There were probably about 12 of her books there, but since I had a limit of $10 I only got about 7 of them. All in excellent shape. To buy all 20 books new would have cost me closer to $50 or so. What a stinkin bargain!! Yay for me.

Does anyone remember the book "Flat Stanley"? I could swear that book was on the banned book list because a kid really tried to pump air into another kid and he died. Unless that is something that I was told as a child to scare my young, impressionable mind into never trying something like that. Who knows. Anyways, I saw 2 copies of that book there. And my paranoid mind shuddered at the thought of my children ever getting ahold of a copy of that book. I can just see Jacob reading that book and getting the idea in his head to stick the end of a bike pump in poor Lizzie's mouth and trying to pump her up. Yes, I am that paranoid. I think I have mentioned before that I probably need some serious medication for my issues. haha.

Oh, and they actually had 2 really pretty wedding dresses there. I had to stop and take a second look and ask myself, why would anyone donate these dresses to Goodwill? Couldn't they sell them on ebay or something. Of coures, maybe there would be to much competition on ebay. But wouldn't you try craigslist, classifieds...anything to get SOME money out of it?? Just something to think about.

Anyhoo...I think that is all I have for you all today.

8 comments:

Brittany Marie said...

I love your poll. LOL! I won't tell you which one I picked. :p

So, you guys are getting a temple! That is AWESOME!

I don't have anything to say about children's books, but I do like that cartoon about 2nd hand stores. LOL!

Debbie said...

Haaaahaha! Ah, Shelle, you are so funny. I laughed through your whole post and I'm still laughing now. Your description of the thrift store was awesome. Glad you found some cool books though! We love Junie B.

I'd probably say that someone was trying to scare you about the Flat Stanley book...although with kids, I suppose you never know.

I don't think I've ever actually read Flat Stanley, but Alex has--which presumably means she read it at school and that it's not banned. She was actually just talking about that book the other day. In any case, I think you could probably rest assured that even if Jacob did decide to try to pump up Lizzie, that she wouldn't keep her mouth closed around the pump...

Michelle said...

Ya, Mike totally debunked the "one kid pumpimg up the other kid" story. I know I was told that though. It obviously made an impression. Like Mr Wittacker's story about the guy on drugs who had aseizure and bit off his tongue. He told some other stories that still make me gag when I think about it, all to scare all us little 5th graders out of ever doing drugs. haha. One story I know he had to make up, because it just soesn't make sense to me. oh well. I am gonna google Flat Stanley. Maybe I'll find something on snopes. haha.

Jolynn said...

I read "Flat Stanley" to my kids, and they never tried to inflate one another. I think it's safe. : )

Michelle said...

haha...thanks Jolynn. :)

Crystal said...

I've never heard of 'flat stanley' but now I am going to look it up. Sounds interesting. Although, I am now going to think of your horror story every time I read the book and wonder 'would Ian ever try that?'. I am also sad I didn't make your Blog Roll on the new website. Sniff Sniff

Brittany Marie said...

Hey, you won my blog contest! Send me an email telling me which prize you want.

Grandma Arnold said...

Two hours alone to look for books sounds pretty close to the Celestial Kingdom for me, anyway.