Friday, January 30, 2009

Tooth Extraction

WARNING! If you are easily grossed out, don't look at the attached picture. :)

Some of you already knew I was getting a tooth pulled today. It has been bothering me for a while and after seeing the x-ray I'm not surprised. So when I went in to have it pulled I requested to keep the tooth so I could see it. Plus Mike wanted to see it. The root was so far gone that the tooth broke off as he was pulling it. Luckily, what was left of the root came right out in one piece so there was no digging around for "debris". Ick. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. It is pretty amazing that my tooth stayed in at all. Even the dentist was fascinated by it. "That is so cool" were his exact words as he examined it. I'm not surprised that it practically slid right out. But oh my, the pain that followed the extraction rivaled that of labor pains. It's like it sucked out all the anaesthetic stuff. I think I had at least 10 shots because the anaesthetics kept wearing off. He offered to numb me up again but the shot is just as painful, so I just sucked it up. As soon as I got home I loaded up on Ibuprofen. I have a prescription for vicatin, but that stuff messes with my head, so I won't be filling that prescription. I'd rather deal with the pain than hallucinations. Okay it doesn't really mess with me that bad. But I do feel pretty loopy on it. Anyhoo...


Now for your viewing pleasure, here is a picture of the extracted tooth.
Remember I warned you!! :)

8 comments:

Jen said...

WOW! That is kind of awesome! I kind of like things like this, it doesn't gross me out at all. I hope you are doing ok. I wanted to call and see how you were doing but I don't want to bug you so I'll check in on you later. Get some rest and feel better soon!

millie said...

I keep wondering if I'd had you stick that tooth under your tongue (like I later learned you should do when a tooth gets knocked out) that it would have re-rooted better... I say good riddance to that tooth, and on with the bridge!

Kacey said...

Nice! So that's the one that got knocked out?

Wendyburd1 said...

Aaaaghhhh! I know you warned but Agggghhhhh! Ouchhhh!

Brittany Marie said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! *faints*

Unknown said...

I used to work for a dentist, and seriously, I loved the sight of blood. It was very exciting.

Anyway, your tooth is COOL, but I can only imagine the pain by seeing what kind of shpe it was in. Take Tylenol PM and sleep it off, sister...for like, 3 days!

Mary said...

That is a pretty gnarly tooth...but I bet your super glad it's out. Hope the pain subsides soon!!

Momma Sarah said...

HOLY MOLLY! My teeth are hurting now... I'm going to take the Tylenol PM mentioned above and sleep it off! I WON'T be letting Dalton see that! He'd pass out for sure! (At least that's what he calls it, not sure what he means by it - he's only passed out once in his life and that was age 2-ish and he was super, super puking sick.) Glad it's out and you are on to the big guns!