
Now that my son is almost 3, I am thinking maybe it's time to start potty training the kid. He has yet to really display any signs of readiness, but I think he may be a kid who needs a little "encouragement". "This is called a toilet...can you say toilet? t-t-toy-let. Say it with me. It's not to play in, you go poopy and pee pee in it." We've sat him on the real toilet with one of those seats a few times and he's not a real big fan. So I've been looking into a potty chair. In my search I found the above "throne". Which, in my opinion, looks too much like a normal chair. I am sure I would start finding "surprises" on every chair in my house after trying to use that thing. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a good potty for His Majesty? Preferably one under $30? Also any potty training tips would be welcome. Particularly tips on how to get him interested in being a big boy and going in his new loo? Any recommended books, websites...anything??? TIA!
14 comments:
This is the book I used with Alex:
http://www.amazon.com/Lift-Potty-Nifty-Lift-Look/dp/037581146X
(It's out of stock on Amazon though.)
It's a lift the flap book and is very descriptive and yet not overly gross with the subject matter. At one point the bunny being potty trained even helps change the baby's diaper...to emphasize the distinction I suppose. It also has a sticker chart at the back so he can track his progress.
Of course it depends on your definition of not overly gross...you do see the contents of the toilet, the contents of the baby diaper, and the contents of the potty being dumped into the toilet when various tabs are pulled or flaps are lifted.
Find what he loves and use it as a reward. such as gum, cookies, smarties and ext. good luck!!!
Bribery worked well with Cannon. He could get a new Ben 10 toy everyday he did not have an accident. It only took him one week to have it down.
I wish something would work for my 3 year old. She keeps telling me that going potty on the toilet is stupid!! Good Luck!!
Turn the heat up, and let him be naked from the waist down until he learns the signals from his body. Then start putting on underwear on him. We used sticker charts for both and after so many stickers they recieved a small reward or treat. However, stickers didn't work with Josh, if we gave him a skittle or m&m or some treat after every successful try this did the trick and he's all trained. Also, you could put a cheerio in the toilet and let him "aim" at it. I do use a kids potty chair for the first 6 months and I actually start with it in the kitchen or family room(only if you have no carpet to worry about) that way they don't have to go far. Good luck, it will come for him and you!
Ours is the Safety 1st potty chair from Walmart. It was under 20 bucks and does the trick well.
Of course, Jenna is not yet 2, so we are going really easy on the potty training. Basically we plop her down on it every once in a while and let her read a book or watch Pinky Dee. If nothing happens, then we put it away. If she leaves us yellow gold, then we make a big deal about it and give her a big cup full of goldfish crackers (which she only ever gets at nursery or after a heaping helping of lovely micturation). Seems to work fairly well, but again, we are going really slowly with it.
I was looking for the chair that my parents bought when we were there for reunion. It was Pooh and was very simple for Abby to use and simple to lift the 'cup' out to dispose of wastes. The only thing I'm coming up with is a Diego seat that looks a bit similar in function at Walmart. You have to order it online, but it's pick up at the store and it's under $20. Just remember, you've got Lizzie to potty train, too! So, to me, a potty seat/chair is an investment!
Get the seat, and have him sit on it periodically throughout the day, make a big deal about it that he's sitting on it. Lori likes me to tell her the story of the 3 Little Pigs (hey, it's what worked for her and made her stay on long enough for a chance to have a success!). My kids weren't into the candy/treat 'rewards'. That backfired. They just wanted to eat them whether or not they sat on the potty! Really, just go with a very gentle approach and he'll get there. Don't let anyone else's timeline pressure you. The more pressure you put on him, the more he'll resist, I'm thinking. That was Abby, we (meaning Chris he he!) pushed and just made her not want to that much more!
Ok, that was long! Good luck! Call me anytime!
My friend Hydi had one that played (duh dada duhhhh, like the royal trumpets) when some sensor sensed...something in the bowl,LOL, it was cute...still a potty but cute
I have yet to start the process but I just heard a success story about how all she did was go to the library and got a ton of books (maybe a video...not sure) and just had him read them everyday, and he just started to go on his own. I have that down as a suggestion when I start with Ian. Good Luck. Give us an update with what helped the most for us parents yet to go thru it.
My neighbor gave her kid a "potty watch". It is hilarious- it is in the shape of a toilet and everything. Anyway it goes off every 20-30 minutes or something and whenever it goes off you're supposed to go visit the Jonathan. I don't know how much success she has had with it though, but it sure does sound hilarious.
I swear by a book, "Toilet training in less than a day" It has a wonderful 'readiness test' but I do not know if it is print any more. I've moved too many times. I used this method successfully 5 times.
A group of ladies in my ward swear by the "Toilet Training in less than a day." I am pretty sure it is still printed, and I think it is very effective.
I have been trying and trying to potty train Heber, ever since before you were up here, actually. I have a friend with 9 kids (7 boys) and she kept telling me to wait until he started leaving poopy stripes on the toilet. Once he did that, she suggested showing him a box with underwear in it, and leaving the box accessible to him. Then, once he decided he was ready, he could put on the underwear.
Heber is very head-strong, and I tried so many other things because I wanted to feel some sense of control over the situation. It ended up causing a lot more stress than was needed. I finally put him back in diapers, and told him when he was ready for underwear he could wear it. It worked! Ever since he decided, he has stayed dry most of the time.
Boys are hard because they have such a hard time controlling it. Heber will go through stages where he will have accidents daily. And he is still in diapers at night.
Overall, my suggestion would be to come up with a plan of attack, but wait for Jacob to act interested. You could make sure he hung out with older kids who were potty trained. Once interested, stick with your plan until the task is complete. Most importantly, accidents happen. The worst thing you can do it stress about the accidents. I know! I did it!
Good Luck! It has been my hardest part of motherhood, so far.
My boys thought is was fun to pee on cheerios. Just throw a few in and aim! Big boy underpants with their favorite character are a must. (And ask him often to play target practice.) Gool Luck!
Post a Comment