Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back To Our Natural Habitat

We decided to go to the Dallas Zoo while we are here. We also decided to save gas and take the train. Jacob was totally excited to ride for the first time. He sat there and said, "Choo, choo" the whole time we were on it. Lizzie was just excited to be able to look out the windows. All the kids had fun. Aunt Cathy and Annabelle came with us too.

Since it's winter there were a lot of exhibits under construction and parts of the zoo closed. We also got there right when all the fun animals, like the elephant, giraffes, and tiger were eating, so the only view we were really able to get of them was their backsides. If you ask me, they should put their food in the middle instead of the back of their cages or whatever. Jacob was all excited to get to see an elephant but was not impressed when all he was able to see was a tail swinging back and forth. It would have been cool to see the front of it. It was huge. Anyhoo...we still had lots of fun though.
We thought it would be fun to rent a wagon to pull Jacob and Belle around in. It turned out to be a life saver. We knew they weren't going to be able to walk to whole way without getting tired, and Jacob was not gonna be happy being strapped in a stroller. This way we were able to pull them from exhibit to exhibit and they were able to get out and look when they wanted to.
Lizzie fell asleep not long after we got there and probably slept for at least half the time we were there.
Jacob and Annabelle's favorite part was the bird and reptile exhibits.
After a short diaper change/potty break and some snacks for the kids... we were on to MY favorite part. The gorillas and monkeys.It was fun to watch them. They were as aware of us as we were of them. I got a close up shot of the male gorilla and he looked right into my camera as I was taking the picture. (I'll post it on my photo blog along with other pictures I've taken on my trip in a few days.) Then, he got annoyed with me and went and hid. After the gorillas we saw the monkeys and this was the best part of the zoo. Mike was his favorite.
I wish I would have taken a picture of Mike as well. Mike would hold out his hand and the monkey would reach back, which is what he's doing in this picture. They had a special bond. I think they are long lost brothers...maybe cousins. I don't know. Mike would pretend to toss something to it and it would look around for it. Then it would do this...
It was awesome!
After 3 1/2 hours, the kids were tired of looking at animals and just wanted to play. So we took some quick pictures of some statues...
and then Mike loaded them in the wagon and ran them around. And almost died when he rounded a corner and came head to head with a golf cart coming the opposite direction. He decided to slow it down after that.
Back on the train Jacob zonked out within minutes. We were all exhausted. I think Annabelle was bored on the way home. She wanted to pose while I took pictures of her. She cracks me up. I was ready to hit the pillow by 8:30pm. I was exhausted. My legs have been cramping since we got back. Maybe I should get back to my workouts and get back into shape.

9 comments:

Kacey said...

haha It looks like you guys had a blast! I especially liked the monkey video! hahaha (I just tried to post this comment and it didn't go, so I hope it doesn't show up twice...)

Brittany Marie said...

Hahaha! I love that picture of Mike in the alligator's jaws!

Jaimee said...

The monkeys are always my favorite part of the zoo, too. How fun!

Momma Sarah said...

How FUN! I guess if I want to know what Lori is going to look like in a couple of years, all I gotta do is get a picture of Belle! I love her "peace" sign! You all were having WAY too much fun with that alligator statue!

Wendyburd1 said...

LOVE all the pics!!! Looks like it was a fun day!

Mary said...

Now I am really jealous!! But...I'm glad you had a good time. That monkey video cracks me up. Leave it to Mike to bond with a monkey...I'm just glad he didn't throw poo!

Debbie said...

That's funny! I'll have to try that with the monkeys next time Alex and I go to the zoo. :-)

Mandy said...

So dang funny...glad you had fun!

Skylin said...

Dane Cook is a comedian (a really non-funny comedian) and he also plays in employee of the month and a couple other movies. He's a good actor, terrible comedian..