You know those women at church that ALWAYS come looking fabulous?! There are a few of them in my ward (congregation). They always look so stylish and perfect.

Ya, and then there is me. I have no
fashion sense and being poor doesn't help. I have 2 skirts that I alternate each week and about 3 shirts (2 of which now have stains on them...
grrr). It's sad. But now that we have a little bit of expendable income I am slowly starting to build my wardrobe. That takes us back to the part where I said I have no
fashion sense. So I have been doing some research. Looking through magazines etc. looking for helpful tips. I don't even have the basics and have no idea what the 'basics' are or where to even start. Well, I was getting my hair done the other day and Alisha, the girl who does my hair, let me look through this book she has called The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece.

It was awesome. So, when I got home I immediately got on the computer and ordered this book from Amazon. Here's hoping I am not beyond saving and this will help me look a bit more stylish and a lot less frumpy. Getting my hair done helped (thanks Alisha) now to work on my clothes. It will be a
slooow process since we don't have a LOT of extra money, because, well, we are trying to pay off our credit card. But at least I will have an idea where to start.
13 comments:
I want to see pics of the new hairdo!
Okay, I will post a picture as soon as I get a chance to wash it and style it. :)
I'm right there with ya Shelle! Another problem is that when I find something really cute and stylish that I can actually afford...I don't fit into it. GRR!
Oh yes...there is that too. I hear ya there!
I love to shop at JCPenney!!! They have some killer sales...and I am too cheap to buy something that isn't on sale.
And just to clarify...I think you are adorable, and I wouldn't trade your personality for anyone (no matter how they dressed!)
Aww...thanks Merla! :) I only shop sales as well. Kohls is usually where I buy from. I did see some really cute things at JCPenney's as well.
I am the same way. I am NOT fashionally inclined. I am pretty much BALH!!
I am so frumpy. AND lurpy. I get stuck in ruts. I bought 2 pairs of (non-hooker) calf-height boots about 3 years ago and I wear them maybe 3 times a week during the winter months. And I've had the same denium skirt since 2003. I need help.
I know. Even if I did have a lot of clothes money, I wouldn't know what to buy! My sisters are very stylish, so I'll just have them take me shopping one of these days. Maybe at tax return time. I'll have to check out that book!
Same for me...no money, no stylish clothes. Your Sunday clothes wardrobe sounds identical to mine...and one of my shirt/skirts I've had since 1997. The rest of the time it's pretty much flip flops, t-shirt, and jeans...only two jeans now that the others got that hole in the pants. I really, really need to go shopping. Sad.
That picture at the top is a cute outfit...but the shirt is too froofy for me. Really though, I just wish I could just have thin, vein-free legs like hers so that I could look good in that skirt without wearing black, leg-slimming nylons. :-)
I love dressing up and wearing cute things, and Sunday as pretty much the only reason to put on a cute dress. My best advice? Spend a few extra dollars for some things you DIE over. I have a skirt that was expensive (by my standards that is over 20 bucks or so)but is gorgeous, and looks great on me. I still compliments on it after 3 years.
Tape What not To Wear- it is very helpful, and guilt inducing. But it works!
I never fit into anything, my top half, so I have to shop for stuff at Lane Bryant,etc which are SO expensive. SO I can only buy them sometimes...it's a good thing I dress as I like...if I cared too much I would be in SO much trouble...
Michell,
See if you can access "What Not To Wear" on your computer. It comes on TLC. There are some really good ideas there.
Post a Comment