Saturday, June 13, 2009

Venturing Out

Today I decided it was time to venture out on my own. We've been her for 2 weeks now and I decided the longer I put it off, the more likely it would be for me to become a hermit and never leave my house. At least not on my own. For those of you who have known me long, know why this is a big deal. I have no sense of direction and get lost VERY easily. It took me years to figure out how to get around Salt Lake City. SALT LAKE CITY!!! It's on a grid!! If you can count you should be able to get where ever you need to go. Easy peasy, right? Not for me! My Dad used to laugh at me when I would call him to help me figure out where I was and how to get where I was going. I did eventually figure it out and after living there for a while was able to find my way around quite well. But now I have been removed from Utah and the blessed grid system *gasp* and am easily confused and lost. After living in Kansas City for 4 years I knew the area well enough to be pretty comfortable getting to where I needed to go. I was even able to find new places on my own. (Took me about a year though.) But in that 4 years I never, NEVER drove south of the river on my own. The thought struck fear to my very core. I would do it if I had someone to follow, but even that was terrifying and I only did it twice. I take that back, I did drive down that way on my own a few times. There is one major road that is okay to drive. You just have to be sure to stay in the same lane. One wrong lane change and you end up in Wichita.

Soooooo, you can understand why it is a little nerve wracking for me to move to a new, unfamiliar area and why it would take me 2 weeks to finally go somewhere on my own. But I went out armed with my cell phone and good ol' GPS. Which actually let me down and lost my trust. From now on, I stick to my trusty, printed out, google map. It wasn't too bad though. I was just going to walmart which is only 4 or so miles away and right on the main road. So, I was a little confused when it told me to turn left off the main road and then right on to some random, scary street that had me scrambling to lock my doors. Luckily I didn't venture far of the main road and it was easy to make my way back to where I needed to go. I am glad to be home though. Hmmm...where to next?

9 comments:

Wendyburd1 said...

Wee congratulations!! I have lived in CT all but 3 months of my life and am always lost outside of my town!! I have no sense of direction, I WANT a talking GPS badly, maybe then I'd be brave and drive to places I have been wanting to go to forever!!

Grandma Arnold said...

Good job, Michelle!!! As one who is also directionally challenged, I applaud your courage. I hate the thought of getting lost!

Momma Sarah said...

Ahhh, where's your sense of adventure??? ha ha!! Just kidding! Way to go venturing out! And, hey, really, it's only been 2 weeks. I'd start getting worried about you if it had been a whole month! he he!!

Steph said...

From one directionally-challenged person to another, WAY TO GO! I'm so proud! :)

Mary said...

WooHoo!!! Don't feel bad, I lived in my city for about 2 years without ever going more than a mile north...which is half of the city!! But, if you've seen one ghetto, you've seen them all :o)

Good job, and just remember that the beach is always east!

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

lol I love reading your blog. We'll have to catch up with you guys when the dedicate the KC temple. Its a ways from now, but that gives you time to find directions back to MO. :P

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Awesome! Thank goodness for GPS. I can't wait to see pictures of the new place!

Kacey said...

Yeah, I pretty much can't get off the freeway without getting lost. haha

Penny said...

I think Brigham Young was truly inspired about the whole grid/street system. I was terrified when we first moved to Houston. I remember calling my mom and crying about 5 lanes of traffic and three freeways on top of each other. I got lost all of the time. Matt finally got sick of me crying about getting lost and bought me "Daphne" my beloved GPS.