It's times like this that make you want to hold your family extra close. Makes you realize how really precious life is and how fast it can be taken away. We all (well most of us)imagine growing old and dying of old age. Living full lives and seeing our children grow. But I guess God sometimes has other plans. I wonder sometimes, who has a harder time with it. The one passing on, or the ones left behind. You hear people say, "oh he's happy on the other side." But is he really. There has to be some sort of morning on his end, for all the things he will miss out on. How his life was cut short. How his family must now go on without him. Remorse for not being able to be there for them. At least not physically. They must go through a grieving process as well. I was talking to my sister last night and she was having the same thoughts I was.
I told her some of the thoughts I had been having since hearing the news and she had been having the same ones, so I suppose they are normal thoughts that most people grieving would have. Things like, what were his last thoughts before he went. Did he know he was going to die and if so, what were his accompanying thoughts. What must Aunt Loreli be going through right now. What about his 2 kids who are serving missions right now. How must they be dealing with this. Now having to come home to no dad. Missing out on those last few months of his life. I have no doubts they will be blessed greatly for making that incredible sacrifice. I keep picturing them as they are unexpectedly called into the mission presidents office to hear the bad news. My heart breaks for them all.
But I've also been remembering some good memories. Like how he used to sing 'Michelle My Belle" all the time to me when I was little. In reality he probably only sang it to me a couple times, but when your little it seems like all the time. lol. I think about how glad I am that I made it to the last family reunion and was able to visit with him. Having no idea it was going to be the last time I talked to him.
We love you Uncle Rob. We will miss you and we look forward to meeting up in the next life.
8 comments:
I am so sorry about the sudden passing of your Uncle Rob. I hope that you and your family find peace and comfort.
I think they do go through a grieving process, but I don't think it is as long as it takes us here on earth because I think they're getting a glimps of the bigger picture. Sometimes I wonder if we have a choice of staying or going back to earth. Just my thoughts...maybe I'm up in the night. :)
It really makes you grateful for the knowledge of eternal families though! It is also comforting to know that Heavenly Father is in control. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows what is best, and He knows what He is doing. Uncle Robb was obviously called home for a reason.
The thing that breaks my heart is just what you said. Picturing those two missionaries getting the bad news and having to come home to no dad. Also wondering what Aunt Loreli is going through and the younger kids having to grow up without their dad. It makes me so sad!
Well said Shelle and Kate. I agree with both of you!
A few months ago I was talking to one of my friends, who I visit teach. Her husband was killed in a car accident about 7 or 8 years ago and a few of her kids were severely injured as well. She recently shared with us her experiences after her husband died. She said that it was incredibly difficult, but that after it happened she received an increased measure of strength and peace and comfort that stayed with her for quite some time (years, I think she said). Then, when she was strong enough again on her own, that "extra" left. She found that she missed that additional help, but by that time she was strong enough to carry on.
I thought that was an amazing testimony of how much Heavenly Father loves and helps both those that go on to the next life and those who are left behind. I think the pain of losing someone so close and so dear is (or can be) too much to bear, so Heavenly Father sends an extra measure of His Spirit to be with those experiencing that, to strengthen them so they can go forward one step at a time, until they are strong enough walk again without that extra help.
So I've been praying, and I believe, that they will receive "double helpings" for a time. I know I've received those "double helpings" at times in my life - though I sometimes didn't realize it until much later.
It will still be extremely painful and difficult to bear and difficult to keep moving forward from day to day, but I truly believe they will be helped and blessed with that "extra".
Another thought that I had about the two serving missions: sometimes one of the best ways to heal is to put your heart and soul into hard work and serving. I think that will help and be an extra blessing to them. So while those still at home will receive some comfort from being together. The two serving missions will have the help and strength (and distraction) that comes with hard work and serving. I don't know. Just a thought. I know none of it will make the intense pain immediately go away, but it will be eased, I think. Right?
Michelle - I saw this on Facebook and have been thinking about you and your family. I lost my Mom in a car accident when I was 16. As I look back, I can say that I was strengthened beyond my own strength. I watch others go through the same thing now and wonder how I ever made it. But it did not seem that hard at the time.
I also saw how my life experiences helped me as a missionary. I can't imagine going through that as a missionary, but this experience will help make both of those missionaries better. And it will help them have a greater understanding of the gospel and some of their investigators.
You and your family will be in my prayers!
You're in our Prayers Michelle. And so is the rest of your family. Loosing somone is hard, but thankfully you have the gospel with you.
I am so sorry for your loss!! You have to remember ALL the family that is in heaven already that he is meeting for the first time are there to comfort him and he gets to meet Heavenly Father and Jesus again!
Michelle, I am sad to hear of you and your family's loss. I do know that Father never gives us more than He can help us bear. My heart goes out to those 2 young missionaries also. I know Father will give them extra strength to go forward. Love you,
I was creeping your blog and I found this post. It made me feel very emotional to know how loved my Dad was by you. Thank you for writing it and sharing your feelings. I feel blessed to have you in my life
Post a Comment