Wednesday, June 17, 2009

That New Upgrade Smell

Or, maybe that's just the bug spray I sprayed all around my house in the wee hours this morning. It had to be done. This house was empty for a month before we moved in and we were starting to notice little baby spiders everywhere. Baby spiders seem to like me for some reason. But that's another story. Anyhoo, I could NOT have baby spiders crawling all over my new furniture! That's right folks. Brand, spankin', stinkin' awesome, new funiture. We knew we were going to get some money from the military upon arriving here, so we planned on getting either a new couch or a new dining room table. Mike was all for the table, but I really wanted a new couch. Sooooo, we were very happy when they ended up giving him a lot more than we originally thought, (seems our luck with money is turning. *knock on wood!!*) and we realized we could get BOTH. Woohoo!
Mike has been scoping out furniture places after work for the last few weeks. He told me about one place that he found a table he really liked, but it was way too expensive. I never actually saw it though. Usually he would text me pictures of furniture he liked, but I guess he figured it wasn't an option so why show it to me. I don't know. Anyhoo, we decided to go out yesterday and look to see if we could find anything we both liked. We decided to check out a place called Furniture Liquidators first. This was the place that Mike saw the table at. So as soon as we got there he took me to see it. I immediately fell in LOVE with it. Seriously! It's pretty much the awesomest table ever. It WAS expensive, but at that point we knew we could afford it. So we splurged. :) Here is my beautiful table and chairs.

Once that was decided upon we started trying out couches. I think we sat on just about every couch in that place (and Jacob jumped on them all, I'm sure the sales person was LOVING that) and there were a few we really liked, but this one was my favorite. It was the very first one we sat on. Sooo Comfy. I personally really like sectionals. Mike has never acted very excited about a sectionals. I think he was hoping for a couch and love seat set. But, he ended up really liking this one as well. Or maybe he just told me he liked it since he could tell how much I liked it. Who knows. :) But here it is. I've always kinda been against the two tones look, but I really like this one for some reason. As you can see, it's already being broken in. (This is what he was doing at the store. He was in heaven.) Since we chose a sectional we decided we better get another chair to even out the room. I must admit, I was secretly hoping for a recliner chair from the beginning. hehe.

I know it's not the prettiest chair. We saw much better looking ones, but if you could sit in this chair, you would know why we chose it. :)

We actually purchased the headboard for our bed and the tv stand a week or so ago. I was so excited about our headboard. We've never had one before. And I don't know if you've ever gone without a head board for long, but you can't use colored sheets or pillow cases, because the color rubs off on the wall, no matter how many times you wash them. Actually, it's mainly just the pillow cases we had issues with, I assume because they get moved around alot?? I don't know. But I am glad we have it now. Plus it just adds something to the room. I like it.

Despite my excitement about all this new stuff (because we've never had new stuff) I have also been fighting feelings of guilt over spending so much money. I guess because for so long we've been pinchin' our pennies just trying to scrape by. And now we are doing really well financially. And it all happened over night! So, I'm still trying to get over the "we can't afford that" mind set. I also can't help but feel like I'm being selfish buying nice stuff. Like I should be giving all my spare money to the poor or something. Especially after this last Sunday's lesson at church on need and wants and how our stake pres. is selling his nice big house and moving into a smaller house so he can help less fortunate people out more. So, part of me is thinking, "how selfish of you to buy new stuff, when you could have found good used stuff for much cheaper and given the money you saved to some poor soul who needs food!". But then the other part of me thinks, "hey, your house is a temple. There is nothing wrong with beautifying it". It's not like I'm putting in a theatre or rock climbing wall or something, like I saw in some houses when I went to one of those house show things...okay I'm totally drawing a blank here. Someone help me out. What do they call that event when a bunch of people open up their houses for people to walk through??? Aaaagh. My brain is struggling. Anyhoo...you get my point. It's just a living room and dining room set. Right? RIGHT???? :)

12 comments:

Jillene said...

The furniture is GORGEOUS and you 2 DESERVE IT!!

Michelle said...

OPEN HOUSE PARADE!!! That's what it's called!! Phew, at least it came to me now instead of in the middle of the night. haha.

Thanks Jillene!!

Wendyburd1 said...

I love the new furniture and you deserve it girl!! And you are helping the economy by spending this money. You had to sell a lot of you stuff when you moved and you have to fill your home and these are all things you needed!! I haven't had a headboard in years...wonder if I'd hate it!!

Braden said...

"I assume because they get moved around a lot"

Whoa! TMI alert!

And in other news, I think that you are referring to a street of dreams for the houses.

Does your furniture store have a guy out on the street waving around a sign that says, "going out of business"?Because every one we saw in Washington and again here in Sacramento seems to have one. How can every furniture company on the entire country be perpetually going out of business?

Sheridy said...

so queston. Do you guys make more money because he is in the millitary? or is that same as a normal resident? Anyway, You are right about beautifying your home. It is a temple. You don't see the temples with worn out furniture. So I'd say You've done good!! I can't wait until we are in the same boat as you.

Michelle said...

Sheridy, military residents make slightly more than civilian residents. But when we got here they told Mike that the time he spent in the National Guard counts towards his pay, so we are making more than most first year military residents even. So...we are making about twice as much as a civilian residency. We've been extremely blessed!

Amyleigh said...

You two have certainly "done your time" and now it's time to relax and enjoy beautifying your home!!! It's one thing to go out and buy unnecessary things, but you're just buying necessary furniture...enjoy it...it's beautiful!!! Good job guys!!!

Grandma Arnold said...

I am so very happy with your new purchases! What, no rock climbing wall in the living room? Just joking. Love you guys bunches. Mom

millie said...

Your new furniture is beautiful. And yes, you should have bought it. Now if it were a big screen tv... (yikes!).

Mandy said...

I love your taste. I have an idea for you. I had some chairs similar to that with my little kids. They are much easier to clean if you unscrew the seats and wrap them in vinyl. It does look a little cheesy but much less cheesy than a spaghetti sauce stain on them. Your couch is my favorite!!

Michelle said...

Okay I was wrong. It's called the parade of homes. I was close. haha.

Jeff said...

Um, your husband is a doctor. A doctor. Your not poor anymore. Get used to it. In fact, get used to me asking for money.