
THAT my friends, is the question. I have been going back and forth with this for the last year. I know my kids are both still very young and have a few years before they start school. But, I really want to make the right decision with this. I started thinking about it this last summer after staying with my SIL Sarah and her fam. She homeschools her kids and they are all doing great. A lot of people worry about the socialization that homeschooled kids miss out on. But the more I learn about it, I see that they get plenty of socialization. While we were staying with them, we took our kids to the park and it was amazing to see how easily her kids made friends. We were probably there 15 minutes or so before Dalton had gathered a whole group of kids to play pirates and star wars with him.
I have several concerns with sending my kids to public school. In the passed year I've learned more about things kids have been exposed to in some states that I don't think they should at such a young age. But that's for a different post. That's a debate I don't want to get into with this post.
I heard on the news this morning about two 10 year old kids getting busted for selling pot at school. 10 YEARS OLD! That's what, 5th grade? ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, PEOPLE!!
I've talked to a few other people who homeschool and eased some of my worries about it. Such as my worries that I would suck at teaching my kids things like math and science. But much like cloth diapering, it has gotten a lot easier over the years. With all the different programs they have available to homeschoolers now, it takes a lot of that stress away.
My main concern right now is Jacob. That kid NEEDS structure, and I can't help but think he'd get more of it in a classroom. I'm not a structured person. However, I am getting better.
Also, with Mike in the military, we will be moving around a lot. Jacob does not deal well with change and it takes him extra time to adjust. I can just see the struggle we would deal with each time he started at a new school. I cringe to think about it.
Anyhoo...like I said I still have a few years to think about it before I decide one way or the other. It will be interesting to see if I really do it or not. haha.
12 comments:
I actually find homeschooling very appealing. I don't know that I would ever do it, but I do like the idea of it.
Having been home schooled myself, I have concerns with it. It really does require that you be a stickler and make sure you do it. My parents were not that dedicated and I missed out on a good education (plus they never push college and scared us to death of what it was all about!!). There are some great programs out there that is all correspondence and LDS based. It has everything on dvd and you just make sure they watch and do the book work. However, if you don't have great follow thru then I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think I will be homeschooling. I am going to look into charter schools or private schools depending on what is more affordable. Just my point of view, I didn't have a positive experience with it. If you have a good roll model (ie: SIL) and can be really good at sticking to a schedule not matter what...then I think homeschooling is a great option now a days.
I think it's great if you can stay motivated with the lessons and such. I just know I wouldn't be very good at that! And I kind of look forward to having the kids at school for a few hours a day. I'm going to look into charter schools and such when my kids get old enough. I can understand why you would be more interested since you don't live in Utah. I would have more concerns about what they are teaching my kids out of state and would probably consider it more seriously. It is really scary what kids are doing these days at such young ages!
Aaaah! Thinking about things like this stresses me out!! Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited to have kids. haha. Kidding.
I did regular school and I turned out fine, so did my friend Weezie who was homeschooled, but her mom met up with other kids who were homeschooled so they made friends.
I DO worry about staying motivated. Plus I have such fun memories of school. Well, for the most part anyways. I actually really hated 5-8th grade. I had some teachers that did nothing for my self asteem. In fact, I would concider a few of them both physically and emotionally abusive. In 5th grade I had a teacher who would smack us on the back of the head all the time and would belittle us in front off all our classmates. I had another teacher in 6th and 8th grade that was the same way. He was a crappy teacher and I had no idea what was going on, but yet he felt the need to yell at me for not paying attention when I couldn't answer a question. But he was worse with other students. He was known to throw desks and kids up against the wall and call some kids fat, etc. He was really truly horrible!!
On the other hand I had a few teachers that were really, really amazing people who helped me a lot.
I don't know what I would do if we had to move with the military- homeschooling makes sense with that scenario. But it might isolate your kids from the other kids in the ward/neighborhood who do go to public schools. That's a tough call.
HOME SCHOOL!
well dont be too scared of public schools. We're told to live in the world but not of the world. If you put your kids in school and you dont like whats going on, then you can take on the task on homeschool. I have a lot of cousins that went to a really TERRIBLE school that the high school teachers never taught anything. They watched movies every dad. So when the kids hit high school they were homeschooled, and some of them took their GED early. Just dont forget the expression, "dont knock it till you try it." (that goes both ways)
After working in school with various programs I think public schools are sometimes unfairly ctiticized. I have so much confidence in my children's schools, I have been so impressed by our teachers and stay very invovled with the principal, PTA and school council. Also, my mom pulled one of my sisters out of school when some problems arised, and she lost critical math instruction that really hurt her when she was put back into the system. In the schools, when kids came for the first year after being homeschooled, my heart actually hurt watching them try to interact. I hate to say this, but it is not the same thing as playing in the park, so there are a few of my negative thoughts.
On the positive, who knows your child better than you? You would know if they are learning and getting the instruction they need.... you could spend as much time as needed on specific subjects....etc. I know of moms who have done hoeschooling for these reasons. And what may work for one of your kids may not work for another. My best advice? Start asking around and talking to moms who do both...get a feel for your local teachers, and wait it out. You may need the help in a few years that an outside source can give, or you may feel inspired to do it yourself..... either way, good luck!
I am prone to side with Home Schooling; however, you must weigh it all out in your mind, then pray for the right answer for you. I'll be rooting for you either way!
The only thing I can say it to really pray about it - the Lord will let you know which way to go. There are pros and cons to each, and as we know our kids best, the Lord knows EACH of us best and will direct you as to which way you should go.
You know where I stand! =)
Post a Comment