Friday, June 4, 2010

Shots All Around



There were several babies born right round the time Jimmy was born and they are all at that point where it's time to start immunizations. So I've seen a lot of posts on fb about sad sad babies. Jimmy was no exception. I hate shots. Jacob is just now over the trauma of shots and will actually happily go into the dr. office without freaking out that he's gonna get stuck. Good thing he doesn't have any more shots until he starts kindergarten. I hate taking my kids in there to get stuck. They always look at you like you've betrayed them. But at least the older ones recover quicker, since they move around a lot, it works the pain out quicker. lol. But I HATE that very first round of shots when they are babies. They are totally unsuspecting. In fact, Jimmy was smiling and cooing as they were giving him his oral immunization. Then they stuck him. I hate that look in their eyes as they are looking at you after that first stick that says, "what the heck!! That hurt!" Then the second stick comes and they start crying and looking at you like, "what is going ON?!? Why are you hurting me?" Then by the third one they are just ticked off and screaming. lol. But it doesn't end there. Then their little legs hurt for the rest of the day and they cry and sometimes get a fever and feel icky. It's so sad. My kids always take the first round the worst. The second round is still sad but they usually handle it better. The whole first year of dr. visits sucks because most of them involve shots. I do get excited to see their stats though. Speaking of stats, Jimmy is over 13 lbs now. He is a chunky little monkey. I love it.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Here they actually have a separate room for kids/babies and have two people giving shots at the same time, so the first round is one shot in each leg at the same time, then one more shot in one of the legs. They still didn't like it, you know it's bad when their face gets red and there is a delay in the scream :o( And, they felt so icky that they got off their schedule for a few days.

So glad Jimmy is growing well!

Ruth said...

Oh, your post gives me flashback of the trauma. :(

Trish said...

Thanks for the heads up...here's hoping little E got Jon's pain tolerance rather than mine!

Anonymous said...

I am always so glad it is the nurse giving the shot, and I can high tail it out of the room. Isn't that terrible? Jimmy is so incredibly cute!!!

millie said...

We're excited for the 25th when we'll get to see him in person! You too, of course!