Saturday, April 17, 2010

These are a few of our favorite books...Part 1

"Part 1" because my kids have several favorite books and I am SURE I will eventually get to part 2. :) Don't ask me why I decided to do this post. It just sounded fun. And really, do you need any other reason for a blog post??? No, not really.

This one was given to us as a gift when Jacob was born. It is a classic and has been a favorite of his since he was a baby. Lizzie has always loved it too and both kids STILL love it. In fact it has been so loved we had to get a new one because our first copy was so worn. I can't quite put my finger on what the appeal of this book is but even I like it for some reason. I would write a description of this book for those of you who don't know what it's about, but I am sure I would make it sound boring. Because there isn't much exciting about it. You just have to read it and find out for yourself. It's magical.


I found this book at Goodwill. I think I got it for about 25 cents. Jacob has it mostly memorized and Lulu has parts memorized here and there. It's spring and time for Bear to wake up and each of his animal friends take turns trying to wake him up. I add in animal sounds and snoring for the bear. Both kids love it.

I also bought this one at Goodwill for about a quarter. It's Elmo...what more can I say. My kids love anything Elmo or Sesame Street related for that matter. But this one is a good one if you want help teaching your kids about saying "please", "thank you" and other good manners.
The next two books were free. That's why they are MY favorites. :) Jacob particularly likes Mr. Brown Can Moo. Mr. Brown can make all sorts of sounds and encourages kids to try them out as well. Jacob loves repeating sounds and the sounds in this book are pretty fun.
This one is one of Lizzie's favorites. She has parts of this one memorized too. Mother bird flies off to find food for her baby bird who is about to hatch. Unfortunately he hatches while she is gone and goes on a quest to find her. He comes across several animals and objects that he thinks might possibly be his mother. Somehow he eventually finds his way back to the nest just as his mother returns.

Both kids really get into this one. Grover is scared of getting to the end of the book because there is a monster at the end of the book. He makes several unsuccessful attempts to prevent you from turning pages and is surprised at what he actually finds at the end of the book.
I will call it good at that. Like I said, they have LOTS of favorite books. So stay tuned for some more of our favorites...one day...maybe. :)

5 comments:

Jaysonsmom said...

I love the monster at the end of this book. It was one of my very favorites as a child lol. I have never read the other ones. I love anything with Grover in it lol

Grandma Arnold said...

I love Elmo. I love these books. PleasekKeep me apprised of potential Christmas gifts for my beautiful grandchildren.

Sheridy said...

We liked a lot of those as well. My kids also liked Dr Dan, and Nurse Nancy and Punchinello. (spelling?)

Ruth said...

I love it! Thanks for the good tips!

Lisa Brown said...

Great books. I LOVE children's books. When I was teaching school, I bought so many books and discovered so many favorites that I cannot even list them all, but if you want to know some of my favs, go here: http://lisabrown.typepad.com/my_weblog/my-many-favorite-books-1.html

It needs updating, but it is most of my list :).