Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Crazy Bus Stop Lady?

Lisa's comment on my yesterdays post about the bus stop kids reminded me of this story. I went out to check my mail the other day and noticed that one of the kids has started, once again, leaving his scooter leaning against a tree in my yard while he's at school. The same kid who use to ride his skate board up and down my driveway and slam into my garage door, then leave his skate board in the same spot while he was at school. I don't know WHY this annoys me so much, but it does. Maybe I'm just hormonal? I don't know. But when I saw his scooter leaning there, I was tempted to take it and put it in my garage and leave it there for a few days, then put it back out there. Just to give him a little scare, ya know. Or maybe it would be considered a warning? I don't know. Technically it's not considered stealing, right. Since it was left on my lawn, I would consider it a gift, really. When I talked to Mike last night I was telling him about how I thought about it, (even though, realistically, I'd probably never really do it) and he just started laughing and says to me, "Michelle, you are turning into the crazy bus stop lady". Yes, I probably am. And sadly, I don't care. I find it kind of humorous actually. I'm okay with being the crazy bus stop lady that comes out and yells at them for playing in my yard and steals their toys. Kind of like the old Monster House guy. "STAY OFF MY LAWN. DO YOU WANT TO DIE?!?". Okay, I've never yelled. I've always been quite nice about it actually. But kids usually don't see it the same way. In their minds I probably did yell at them and shake my fists.

I have noticed, though, that since I went out and NICELY asked them not to play on my driveway and stay away from my garage door, they have stopped waiting for the bus out in front of my house and have moved to the sidewalk to the side of my house. Which I appreciate. I guess I should be happy with that and let the kid leave his scooter and skate board there. It's not like it's making my house look any worse than it already does. Although the garbage they are still leaving on my lawn DOES. Okay, now I'm annoyed again. Maybe tomorrow morning I will go back out and start throwing the garbage at them and truly earn my status as the crazy bus stop lady.

7 comments:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

HAHAHA Love it. Seriously I think you should call the bus barn and get the stop moved. Or at least let the school know it's happening. They can punish the kids.

you can always install a shock perimeter around your yard. :D

Katelyn said...

You are too funny!

Jen said...

I'm just amazed at the lack of parental supervision these kids have. Nate has been asking to ride his scooter down to the bus stop and we won't allow him too. I think I'd be hiding his stuff from him and have it miraculously appear a few days later with a note to leave his stuff at home during school.

Jeff said...

Wow, either you're really nice or I'm really mean, cause I'd have gone staight out there and thrown it in the garbage. I'm still trying to get Jaimee to let me shoot the cats that crap all over our yard. With my airsoft gun, of course.

Trish said...

Oh my goodness I am totally ready to be crazy bus lady! We have about 20 kids (TWENTY!) who have a bus stop in front of our house. They are constantly littering candy wrappers and empty drink boxes all over the place, and some days they start flinging their backpacks at each other in my yard, or sit on the back of my car even though it's in my driveway! I can't sleep in for all the noise they make (which was really frustrating during my firs trimester when I slept all the time). All this and there are usually a couple parents with them!

I usually just stand at my window looking anxious and probably annoyed. If the parents who are there aren't enforcing any discipline, and most parents don't even show up (and this is K-6), I worry I'd get a backlash for saying anything. I just want the kids to keep away from my plants and my car, stop littering, and refrain from shrieking... Is that expecting too much?!

Mary said...

I can't believe the kid's parents let him ride it to the bus stop in the first place. I would have totally hidden it by now, or thrown it in the trashcan. People just have no sense of boundaries anymore...and common sense is becoming a rarity.
I say put a note on it saying, "to owner of scooter, I had to save your scooter from the trash can today, you should keep it at home or it might not be here when you get home from school." It's one thing if his parents had made arrangments with you, but they didn't...so I say trash it!

Lisa Brown said...

I still think you should hide the scooter :).