Before I start this post, I would just like to say that I LOVE my ward. We have felt so welcomed here and everyone is so nice. We have really enjoyed getting to know people. However, no ward is perfect and this post may come across as me not liking my ward, which is not the case. In the letter your about to read, it was only 2 or 3 well intentioned people who got me a little riled up.
As many of you know, on the 5th Sunday of the month in most wards, they combine Relief Society and Priesthood and someone from the bishopric teaches a lesson. In June we talked about food storage and being prepared for emergencies. This month we talked about reverence and how we as a ward can be more reverent while at church. Well, this meeting inspired me to write the following letter.
Dear Ward Members,
I know you have good intentions, but I think when the bishop asks us what we can do to be more reverent, I'm pretty sure he is wanting us the think of things you, yourself can do to help contribute to a more reverent atmosphere. I am pretty sure he didn't intend for you to start pointing fingers at other people and what they need to do. Such as the sister who pointed out that the boys blessing the sacrament are chewing gum or that bishop such and such in another ward showed up on a week day in gym shorts to set someone apart and how disgusted you were with that person. Why, if you were upset about the boys chewing gum, didn't you bring that to the bishops attention in a non-public setting. And why are you pointing fingers at some random bishop who showed up in gym shorts. Does wearing gym shorts make his priesthood any less effective??? And where do you get off passing judgement like that? You don't know the situation. How do you know he wasn't in the middle of playing basketball with his kids and had to stop to go set someone apart. You don't know. And how in the world does that have ANYTHING to do with creating a more reverent atmosphere in OUR ward. But that's not what really bothered me. What really bothered me was the well intending person that brought up how we need to dress when we come to church. Do I agree that we need to dress up during church? Absolutely. But, why drag the topic out for 20 minutes, when there is a member of the congregation sitting there dressed in blue jeans. Yes, I think that dressing in Sunday best for church absolutely contributes to a reverent atmosphere. But don't sit there and focus on how not dressing up takes away from it. Cause lets face it, we want people to come to church no matter what they dress in. And to take the topic and run it into the ground, while this poor guys was sitting there feeling totally awkward, is ridiculous and most definitely did NOT contribute to a reverent atmosphere. I don't know this persons story. I don't know if he was just visiting, or was a regular member or what. But I can tell you that he left with a really negative impression. I know for sure that he left feeling singled out and judging by his comments as he left, he most likely won't be coming back. I am sure that the person who brought it up had no idea that there was someone there in street clothes, but there usually is at least one person there in a t-shirt and jeans and it's usually someone investigating the church. Come on, lets be a little sensitive. The thing that bugged me the most was that no matter how hard the bishop tried to focus on that we accept people no matter what they wear and to change the subject, people wouldn't drop it!!! AAAAAAH. So I sat there for half the meeting, just feeling awkward FOR this guy sitting next to me. So, come on people. Maybe the thing we need to focus on most in trying to create a more reverent atmosphere is to look inward at ourselves and not pointing fingers at those around us. You know, the whole mote in the eye parable. Okay, that's all. Rant over.
Sincerely,
Concerned Ward Member
Again, I really like my ward. But I guess there are a few of 'em in every congregation. The End
7 comments:
Well said.
You know, I think that maybe you should have spoke up for the guy sitting next to you. Man I am so with you on your letter, I can't tell you how many times I have seen people dressed in regular street close. Just because we know better doesn't mean that everyone else does. Loved your letter.
Wow I am so glad we didnt have this problem this last Sunday. We had a lady that just got baptized. She walked down the isle it what looked like stretch pants and a really pretty shirty with nice jewelry. Yes I admit it looked odd to see her wearing this but I looked at her and thought how beautifull she looked as she was recieving the gift of the holly ghost.
Don't you just love those people who get so off topic! Seriously what is there deal!!If I were that guy I would never want to come back to a church like that. You'll have to let us all know if he ever shows up again. It's a good thing we all know that church is perfect but not the people, huh!
AMEN sista! We don't know the situations and maybe the jeans WAS his best. Good grief! Judge not lest ye be judged, eh???
I love your letters, Michelle!
I have found that Christians are some of the most judgemental people on Earth!
I feel so bad for that guy in jeans...I mean, I'm sure he noticed he was the only person in jeans when he entered the chapel, so the last thing he needed was to be singled out in front of all the adults of the congregation!
And honestly, my favorite ward in HI where I felt the most at home, most of the men wore flip flops & jeans with a dress shirt...but the spirit was always there.
How insensitive of this person/persons sitting there and turning the Bishop's encouraging words into a GRIPE session. A Bishop is a judge in Israel; the members have no right to judge others. I feel very sad just reading this story. However, God, the eternal judge, will not be pleased if this man never returns to church!
Post a Comment