Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bleck!!!!

This was the first of may puke attacks from Lizzie. I had no idea she was sick. Neither of the kids acted sick up until their first upchuck. Jacob had been running around and playing like normal. Then we sat down to dinner and as he was eating...boom. He puked all over his dinner. I thought it was just a fluke thing until he proceeded to puke every 15-20 minutes after that. For some reason he felt the need to get up and walk when he needed to throw up. After he puked on the floor a few times we finally figured out that we needed to follow him with a bucket when ever he started wandering. Luckily he never puked on me. We ended up bringing his mattress out to the living room and setting up his bed there. We layered towels under him so we could just remove a towel each time he puked. Worked great. He finally finished his bout of puking around 1am. Everyone went to bed, I stayed in the living room and slept on the couch where I could keep an eye on him.

Around 3:30am, Lizzie woke up. Which she does sometimes. She had gone to bed really early, so I figured she probably just woke up hungry, so I fixed her a bottle and she cuddled up to me on the couch. About 2 minutes after she finished her bottle it came right back up and landed on my half asleep self. Which is what the above picture is from. I had no idea milk could curdle so fast. She followed the same pattern as Jacob. Like clock work she would throw up every 15-20 minutes. As soon as she started throwing up I moved Jacob and his layers of towels into bed with Mike. I went through 3 different sets of pj's myself that night and after changing each kid 2-3 times I finally just turned up the heat and left them naked, except for diapers of course. I also wised up and started keeping layers of towels between me and Lizzie at all times.

After 7am there was no more puking. Both kids had fevers and spent the day watching movies, eating saltine crackers and drinking Gatorade (because they refuse to drink pedialyte...can ya blame them?).

They are slowly returning to their normal selves. No more fevers. We're all just tired, and the house smells of vomit. Nice!

Mike was feeling pretty bummed when both kids just wanted me. He tried to hold them to give me a break but no...they would just squirm and cry until I was holding them again. So this morning when Jacob woke up and started crying for, "Mike! Mike!" he was happy.

6 comments:

Jaimee said...

Oh my goodness! There's nothing quite like having a puking child, but times it by two and it just sounds miserable! I'm glad you got through it and that they're feeling better. I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Erin said...

All of us moms have been there, haven't we? They never seem to give any notice. I'm glad things are a little better at your house!

Christa said...

We did this at our house last week. Good times, good times.

Debbie said...

Poor woman (and kids)! Glad it's over. Alex would never drink pedialyte either, so we always did Gatorade as well. That pedialyte is disgusting.

Shanna said...

I love being a mommy but this is one thing I will not miss when all mine are grown and gone.
Glad they are feeling better... now take care of yourself so you don't get it!

Momma Sarah said...

Ohhhh, there is some nasty virus going around EVERYwhere! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get it this time around! Sounds like it's over pretty quickly though, eh? I'm just envisioning all that laundry now... eeew! I don't know what's worse... ha ha!!