Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ghettoville

After 3 days of driving we are finally here. Unfortunately we can't move into the house until tomorrow. So we've been staying in a hotel. It was a long drive, but the kids did awesome and the scenery was beautiful. The whole way, it was so pretty. And then we got into Fayetteville. Total ghetto!!! All the sudden this depression hit me and I couldn't help but wonder where fate had taken us. As I was resisting the urge to lock my doors I had to keep reminding myself that this is where the Lord wants us. Then we got to our hotel. All of our previous hotels on the trip have been awesome. We felt spoiled. When we walked into this one, we knew right away that even though we paid just as much for it, it was not going to even compair to the others. But still, we were okay with it, until closer inspection. At first I would have compaired it to Motel 6 or some other hotel that you can stay in for around $30 a night. Then we started noticing all the bugs inside the room. Which we thought could just be because we are in North Carolina and we were warned about the bugs. But inside our room?? Then we thought, "Why do they have the AC blaring? Yes it is really hot outside, but it is freezing in here and the ceiling fan is going to". We decided this morning it must be because of all the MOLD!! I think they were trying to dry it out or something.

This should have been our first clue here. This is the ourside of the door. Looks a bit like forced entry or something. A little disturbing if you ask me.

Here is the cupboard that our teeny tiny fridge was kept. Notice the grime on the top corner and how the one door won't close all the way. Very classy.

Here's the inside of that cupboard. Notice the mold in the corners there. Nice.

And then there is the shower. There just are no words. This is the wall above the shower. Notice how the tile is not even. Kind of a rough patch up job don't ya think?? In fact if you push on it you can feel give. I am quite certain that it would cave in if ended up leaning against it for some reason. I don't know why they had to patch it, nor to I want to.

Here is a closer look at part of it. You can actually see inside the wall through those cracks.
I don't know what's behind there, but I was afraid something was gonna break through and eat me while I was showering.

And this is the drain of the tub. What is that? Seriously!

But I think what disturbed me the most was seeing my children's feet after they walked around the room with bare feet. I wish I would have taken a picture, but I never got time. They were BLACK! Just from walking around on the carpet. I know it was from the carpet, because they had a bath as soon as we got settled in. We noticed how black their feet were right before bed time and we hadn't left the room. It was seriously disgusting. Mike was ready to pack up and move to a different hotel but Check Spellingwe would have been late for church if we did that and we would have had to drive separately since we wouldn't have had anywhere to put all the stuff from the car. After church he decided we should at least get a new room, but then decided it was pointless to move all our stuff when we are checking out pretty early tomorrow anyways. Plus there is no guarantee any of their other rooms are gonna be any different. I will be glad to get out of here and into our house though.

On a more positive note, we met lots of nice people at church today. And we got to see more of Fayetteville which seems to not be as ghettoish as what we saw driving in. AND we got to drive by our house and see the neighborhood we will be living in. I was surprised to find a very nice neighborhood. I'm excited.

It is good to have the first week of church over with. I hate moving to new places and being the new person. But it went pretty well. And it was interesting to see a family ward incorporate the 'linger longer'. The last time I went to one of those was in my last singles ward and they did it on fast Sunday. Here they do it on the last Sunday of the month. It was extra nice since we didn't prepare for meals today. So it saved us having to figure out lunch. However, we will have to break the Sabbath for dinner. I know, I know. I'm going to hell! Oh wait, I think that's what this hotel room is.

16 comments:

Grandma Arnold said...

welcome to North Carolina. I am so glad your house is in a good neighborhood; thus the higher rent, but you really do get what you pay for. I found it better to run the AC/heat year round rather than fight mold every day!

Please call.

brandon and jakell said...

:O( Oh man that sucks,reminds me of a place we stayed at on the church history tour in Elk Hart Indiana, nasty, hair, bugs, mold, hotter than crap and we had a broken AC unit, I was thrilled to leave that place and the same with the area..lets just say it was scary, you didn't leave your room ever! Glad you get to move in soon, good luck! will check back for pics :) take care!

Katelyn said...

Well, I guess we will see you there (in hell)! :) We broke the Sabbath today and we didn't even have your excuse. :S We were bbqing and we ran out of propane right in the middle so Mike went and bought some.

Debbie said...

You probably just drove in on the wrong side of town. Don't ya think? Hope? I mean Richfield is a nice little town but if you started out in some sections of it, you might wonder. It seems like pretty much every city or town you go to, big or small, one side or area looks a little ghettoish and the other pretty nice.

Your house at least sounds like it's in a nice area!! :-)

PS. My word verification was "lowspu", I thought that was kind of appropriate given your hotel story. Only maybe high spew?

Wendyburd1 said...

I have been in quite a few Hotels From Hell that my CSI-filled brain screamed in agony at.

I can't wait to hear about the house!

Michelle said...

Ann, did Mike not call you back?? I will make sure he calls you today.

Jakell, wow, they made you stay in a place like that? We always stayed in nicer places of camped out. Of course, if it was that hot, maybe it's a good thing you weren't camping.

Kate, We would have done the same thing. :)

Deb, I believe we did drive in on the worst part of town. We talked to other people who drove in on the same road and thought the same thing. From what we can tell, it's Fayetteville itself that is ghetto. Most people live in surrounding suburbs and not right in Fayetteville. Most of the surrounding area is pretty nice. Thank goodness.

Wendy, hahaha. Your CSI-filled brain would definitely be screaming in this room. lol. I have been coming up with some interesting reasons for the forced entry and bashed in shower wall. Hmmm...makes ya wonder, aye.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

wow...sounds, erm, exciting? A little weird, but he at least you made it! Let us know what your new number is and I'll give you a call!

Mike and Marisa Compton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

Did you get any mission flashbacks with the hotel?? I know I had one flat that came to mind as you were describing your hotel. I am so glad you made it safe. I have been going to Michelle withdrawals!! Welcome to your new home. I hope it turns out to be wonderful.

Joel Chidester said...

did you bring one of those florescent lights to check for evidence of sexual devience on your bed before you sat on it. I would take a bath right now if I were you.

Unknown said...

That hotel looks scary, and I am sorry! I mean , it's one thing to have your ouwn dirt to deal with..but strangers dirt is another issue!

I don't know what Linger LOnger is, but I want to try it!

millie said...

Yuck, Joel! That's as bad as the caretaker at the Lion's Park telling me why I should keep the kids off the used-to-be-flat maintenance building by the picnic area. I hope you're moved in by now, Shelle! And I hope your house lives up to your expectations.

Debbie said...

Haaahaha! You crack me up, Joel. That's so completely disgusting though. It's probably a good thing she didn't look because she probably would have found the evidence. Sometimes maybe it's better not to know?

And what used-to-be-flat maintenance building, Mom?? I take it things went on up there? Ew.

Michelle said...

Joel, I thought of that, then decided I didn't want to know. I kept thinking of that Office episode where they did the black light and found splatters all over the bed, headboard and walls. haaahahaha. So gross. Believe me we have all scrubbed ourselves since leaving that place.

Mom, I totally forgot about that. lol.

ramsam, have you ever seen Singles Ward? Every fast sunday singles wards have them. It's basically a pot luck lunch right after church. It was strange to see a family ward do it. Only not on fast Sunday.

Crystal, yes. Many, many flashbacks!! lol.

Marisa, I will find out our new phone # and email you.

Ruth said...

Oh Michelle, that is awful. I almost lost my lunch! I hope you get into your house soon and love NC.

Jolynn said...

In my first mission apartment we would frequently hear the next door neighbors accessing their drug stash-which was hidden behind their tub tile (which backed up to our tub tile). That would explain a few things about that hotel room, eh?