Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why a WOODEN spoon?


I recently bought a new cookbook. I like it a lot. It's got some good stuff in it. (If anyone wants a good recipe for brownies with spinach in it, or any other recipes with hidden veggies, let me know, I'll happily share with you.) But I've noticed a reoccurring theme in it. Throughout this cookbook, I frequently see, "mix ingredients together with a wooden spoon", and it got me to thinking. (scary, I know) Why specifically a wooden spoon??? Is there some scientific explanation as to why it is better to use a wooden spoon over, say, a plastic spoon, or a metal spoon? I've heard that some metal spoons have been known to kill yeast, but I'm not making bread here. We're talking muffins, or brownies. If it is a metal thing, then I'm in trouble, because my beaters are metal and I frequently use metal spoons. In fact for the longest time I didn't even OWN a wooden spoon. *gasps* I finally bought one, lone, wooden spoon from Goodwill one day because I needed one for a singing time activity in primary. I used it occasionally for cooking, but my kids found it and took off with it and I haven't seen it since. (Either that or my dishwasher ate it. It does things like that occasionally.) But I've used metal and plastic utensils for my cooking and baking for quite sometime with no ill effects on the outcome of my food (including breads). Which makes me wonder. Would my food turn out BETTER if I used a wooden spoon? What have I been missing out on due to the absence of a wooden spoon in my kitchen? Is my foods nutritional value being compromised because it comes in contact with metal??? Would a wooden spoon make my food healthier? Have I been stunting my children's growth and brain development because I DON'T HAVE A WOODEN SPOON?????? *deep breath* OR, is it simply because it's more comfortable to hold than other type of spoon?

Heck, why tell me specifically what kind of spoon to use at all? Why not simply say, "mix ingredients until smooth" or whatever, like many other recipes I've seen and let ME decide what type of utensil to use? Are you prejudice against metal or plastic spoons?!?!?! Did you have a bad experience with a metal spoon which has led you to believe that everyone should now use ONLY wooden spoons? Someone please explain this to me. Cause I just. don't. get it!

10 comments:

dust and kam said...

Thank goodness I have a lot of wooden spoons (cause they are the cheapest. HA HA. Funny I just bought 5 of them today, all for 3 bucks). I would hate to taste my cooking if I were to change spoons. Sheesh. I am not even going to think about that.

Michelle said...

lol. It's always good to have back-ups!! I mean, it would be bad news if you ran out. I should probably go buy a bunch too. Gosh, I'm surprised no one has had a spoon intervention for me yet. Not feeling the love people!! :)

Mary said...

I use whatever is handy...most of the time I use a spatula for almost everything, or my electric mixer. I have a few small bamboo spoons, not sure why I ever bought them, which pretty much just sit there. Maybe I need to make an investment in wooden spoons...

Katelyn said...

I don't have any wooden spoons either. I don't know how to clean them and I'm afraid I'll get slivers in my food. I just use rubber scraper type things to stir everything. I've heard though that certain types of utensils (such as beaters or whisks) will make your cookies or brownies more fluffy (as opposed to using a spoon or something). I don't know if the material will make a difference or not though.

Amanda said...

That is too funny. My mother always used wooden spoons. For cooking and for spanking. That's right spanking. So that is what I use. Not for spanking, just cooking. It doesn't scratch or make that blood curdling scraping noise of metal on metal. So maybe the recommendation is for comfort purposes, and to avoid melting plastic in a frying pan. And with a wooden spoon you can spank crazy kids when you are cooking. :)

Trish said...

You crack me up, Michelle :) I grew up with wooden spoons and tend to use them over metal ones at every opportunity. I find that their thickness helps with mixing (since most metal and plastic spoons are thinner), plus they don't damage the finish of my cookware or make clanking noises. Now I'm curious whether there is a more substantial advantage...I'll have to ask my sister (who has read extensively about baking).

Debbie said...

Too funny! I don't use wooden spoons either (although I have seen recipe directions that say to use one). I don't think I even own one anymore.

Someone made a good point about how sturdy they are and that they don't bend like metal spoons can (although I have had a wooden spoon break before). And they would make less annoying scraping noises. But as far as comfort, I find them really awkward and uncomfortable. They are so inflexible that it's hard to stir things with them.

I'm sure people get used to it but...my germ-freak and anti-handwashing-dishes tendencies lead me to oppose wooden spoons. ;-)

The germ-freak in me objects the most. Think about it. If a wooden cutting board gathers all kinds of disgusting germs, wouldn't a wooden spoon as well? Think of all the people who have probably licked those wooden spoons. And if you put them in the dishwasher (with temps high enough to kill most of the germs) then the heat and moisture can swell and warp the wood...leaving more spaces for future germs to collect. (Well, the cheap ones would anyway; the really nice hard wood spoons might not be as bad.)

I have to admit that when you said you bought a wooden spoon from Goodwill, my germ radar went wild. But then you said you used it for Primary, so I sighed in relief. But then you said you used it to COOK with and my germ radar went wild again. Thanks a lot.

All kinds of thoughts went through my head. I thought, how many people licked that spoon and left their germs nestling in the crevices? Did some mean parent spank a bare bum with that spoon? Use it to fish something out of the toilet? Did they use it to push the dog food out of the bag and into the doggie bowl and then let the doggie lick the spoon? Did little Sammy use it to scratch that hard to reach itch inside his broken-arm cast or broken foot cast? Did big sweaty hairy guy use it as a back scratcher? ...or as a between the toe foot fungus scratcher?? The possibilities are endless. See how I think? Sorry!

But don't worry, I'm sure it's fine. Hahahaha!

Really though, any utensil that is associated with these kind of instructions:

"Feel the utensil. If it feels fuzzy, it is probably because the grain of the wood has been raised from the soaking. Simply take a fine grit sandpaper (or even steel wool) and gently smooth the utensil."

(You thought it was going to be something gross, didn't you? Psych! Nope, just labor intensive. Gross comes next.)

...or associated with this kind of instruction:

"If a spoon is rancid, don't try too hard to disinfect it. The cost of a new utensil is generally less than the possible adverse effects of using a contaminated kitchen tool when preparing food."

...is not the utensil for me. Nope. No matter how awesome a wooden spoon might make the brownies / muffins / cookies. :-)

Mike said...

WARNING DEBBIE, what I'm about to say may make your anxiety worse...

Plastic cutting boards actually harbor MORE germs than wooden ones. A study about 5 years ago swabbed both types after they had been washed and the plastic ones grew more bugs (by quite a bit). The hard thing that most people have with wooden cooking items is that they are not dishwasher friendly, meaning that they will crack and wear-out prematurely from the extreme heat of the dishwasher. This means they have to be hand-washed which takes more time.

However, whether cookwear is hand-washed or machine-washed, in a household environment where generally the same people are using the utensils, there is no significant difference in infection-rate. Washing your hands before you cook and immediately after handling meat products makes a bigger difference than a dishwasher.

On your germ-harboring comment about plastic versus wooden spoons, there's likely no real difference in infection-rate either. But, people clearly have their own preferences for one specific type. JUST DON'T BE SUCH A WOOD-HATER!!! j/k. You'd probably also be shocked to know that regular soap works just as good as antibacterial hand soaps at preventing infection.

And last of all, we are COVERED in bacteria!!! From our mouths, to our hands, feet, and intestines. It has been coexisting with us and helping us for mellenia. It helps us digest food and prevent infection from more invasive bacteria and fungi.

Debbie said...

Haaaahaha! Yes, yes, yes, but I don't want to assist all the germs in multiplying and replenishing and what not! ;-)

I actually don't use plastic cooking utensils either. Pretty much all metal around here. Woot! I'm sure there's something horrid about those as well. There's always something! Plus, my dishwasher is such that it probably ADDS germs to all my dishes anyway.

We do use antibacterial soap (which I hear is kind of bad), but I'm not obsessive about having that kind. It's all about the hand rubbing. Right? Row, row, row your boat and all that. As a certified germ-freak, I try to keep up on this stuff.

As far as cutting boards go, I don't believe in them. (Heehee.) Why? Not because of germs. Because they take up space in my cupboards that I require for other purposes and they don't always fit conveniently in the dishwasher.

I do own two plastic cutting boards and since I like to make use of things somehow, I use them when I'm doing crafts. (Handy surface when using an X-acto knife.) Or as a firm surface when Alex and I want to play a board game or cards while sitting on a bed. Or as a lap desk when I'm working on my laptop computer sitting on the couch. :-)

Cameron said...

Michelle, are you sure thats spinich in those brownies? lol