
I am not a fan of spiders. (Who is, really, besides my 4 year old son?) Typically if they are outside I leave them alone, unless I know they are poisonous, then they must DIE! I feel that way about most bugs. Although, I don't take chances with ants anymore. I feel the need to exterminate any and all that I find in my back yard. We have ginormous wolf spiders here that ALWAYS make their way into my house. When I sprayed the garage, I killed about 15 JUST next to the door! Totally creepy.
Anyhoo...A while ago I noticed a weird looking bug on the side of my house, near my front door. I could see it from my kitchen window. I didn't think anything of it, there are all sorts of weird bugs out there. Then, the sun went down and it got dark out there. I turned on the porch light and looked out the window and I saw that that weird looking bug had transformed into a huge, ugly spider. As soon as I saw it I decided it needed to die before it could make its way into my house. I don't smash bugs unless I have no other choice. I cannot handle the crunch, squish sound it makes. I want to gag just thinking about it. So, I got out the big bottle of ortho and cracked the door just enough to stick the nozzle out, aimed and fired. I hit it, it started to fall and I slammed the door shut. I pulled aside the curtain of the side window and watched to make sure it died. I watched it struggle to stay on the side of the house. It struggled for a while and I finally had to stop watching because...I FELT GUILTY! I have never felt guilty about killing a bug before. But I felt guilty watching this particular spider die. I hated watching it suffer but couldn't bring myself to go finish it off and Mike wouldn't do it for me! Rude. I came back occasionally for the next 20 minutes or so to see if it had died yet and every time I looked out it was still trying its hardest to climb back up it's string of web to its original spot, but couldn't. I thought it was never gonna die. Finally, I had to go get the kids to bed and didn't get a chance to go back and look, but I found it dead on the ground the next day. I decided to get a better look at. After seeing it up close I saw that it was just a harmless Orb Weaving Spider (and a relatively small one compared to others I've seen around my house) that had just come to eat all the annoying bugs that breed in my over grown garden. It was helping me and I had tortured it! Get out the cuffs people, I'm an innocent spider killer! I couldn't feel worse if I'd killed a ladybug or a butterfly. Now, if I'd found it in my house, I wouldn't feel guilty at all. But it was just minding it's own business out there and probably would never have come into my house. Now the annoying moths, beetles and mosquitos (that grequently follow me into my house every time I use the front door) have free reign of my front porch. Way to go Michelle! Good job.
Wanna read another confession of a spider killer? Funny stuff. haha.
3 comments:
I hate squishing bugs, too! In fact, I used to get a cup and catch spiders and other bugs in it and release them in a nice bush outside. But after I had Allayna, I couldn't stand the thought of a spider crawling on her so I started smashing them when I saw them in the house. Now they kind of freak me out, and they never bothered me before. Allayna smashed a bug in the house with her finger the other day, and now I am afraid she will be a bug smasher. I also have a lot of guilt every time I do the deed.:)
Everytime I see you now I'm going to yell, "Spider Killer!" LOL! I love that you have remorse for killing it.
I have lived with the bugs in the south for 5 years - you should never feel guilty for killing any of them :).
Post a Comment