Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Confessions/The Boy Next Door

Yes, those of you who have known me for a long time know exactly where I'm going with this. When I was about 14 years old, my friend's Dad (next door neighbor) got remarried. This new wife had a few children. One in particular was a boy about a year older than me who I immediately became infatuated with. That poor guy. Looking back I feel so bad for him. I had this idea of what I thought he was like and I was in love with him. One day I was sitting out on my front porch and I prayed for a sign that God would tell me if I was going to marry him or not. I asked to see a shooting star in a specific part of the sky. And you know what...I saw that shooting star. That settled that. I was going to marry him. God said so. I stalked and tormented this guy for about 4 years. The few times that I actually spent time with him, I didn't really feel that our personalities meshed well. But that didn't matter. I knew he was the one for me. Thinking back on my teenage years I can now see that I was just...weird. Seriously. Why didn't anyone tell me what an weirdo I was?! And now I am dealing with the humiliation of it all. I was ALWAYS staring it at him and he was probably always thinking "STOP STARING AT ME PSYCHO CHICK!!! I remember once at a church dance, I waited and waited for him to come. When he FINALLY walked through the door I worked up my nerve and asked him to dance. I was so frazzled and nervous that when , as a joke, one of my friends older sisters walked up and asked to cut in, my knee jerk reaction was to shout, "NO" and kick her in the shin. Oh...yes I did. It was pretty humiliating.

I came home from my mission and I was a little less weird, but was still obsessed with the guy. I saw more of him because we ended up working at the same place. Everyone I worked with directly knew who he was and how much I liked him.

I finally fell in love with someone else and got over him but now I just feel stupid. To this day I cannot talk to this guy. He is (or was, not sure if he still is) in my parents home ward (church congregation for those of you unfamiliar with mormon lingo) and has a cute little family. I saw him a few times at church when I was home last year and couldn't bring myself to even look at him. Even though I have moved on and am no longer in love with the guy, (good thing since I'm now married with a family of my own. haha) I'm now just too embarrassed to face him. I'm pretty sure he will forever see me as the weird girl next door who stalked him and who now completely ignores him, which is probably relief to him. haahaha.

So, boy who used to live next door, I apologize for my teenage psychosis and hope you are not dealing with permanent scars from the fear of being stalked and tormented by me and all my friends.

The End.

Happy Sunday all! :)

9 comments:

Katelyn said...

Ah, it worked finally!

I had the same type of infatuation (or more like a serious obsession) with a guy who was a senior when I was in 8th grade. The poor guy. Luckily I haven't seen him since he graduated high school. He had a girlfriend at the time and she knew about my infatuation as well because of some of my stupid friends. Seriously though, I was weird. He worked at the water slide and I would save my wrist bands if he put it on me, or if I bought candy from him I would save the wrappers. I even cut out pictures of him from the newspaper and mounted all of the above on my wall. He (and his girlfriend) found out about that and I was so embarrassed!

dust and kam said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Awesome.

I love this story. And always will.

Oh, the obsessions. I think we all have them!

Michelle said...

I knew you'd appreciate this one Kamie. lol.

Katie I did the same thing. I cut out all his pictures from the news paper. (One of the great things about a small town, your bound to end up in the paper a few times. hahaha.) I even scetched a picture of him. It was pretty good too. I think I ended up burning it along with all other evidence of my obsession. lol.

Jaysonsmom said...

That is to funny. The thing is he probably didn't even notice since guys tend to be oblivious to things like that lol. Or who knows he probably was so shy he couldn't talk to you lol. There were no guys around my neighborhood except the one that was like a brother. Just a bunch of us girls

Debbie said...

That's funny! Did you really kick her??

I had a friend who had a crush on a guy for about the same length of time as you did. They finally started dating during our junior or senior year of high school. I have to admit I sometimes wondered if he just gave up the fight and decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." ;-) (They both ended up marrying other people.)

Ruth said...

I forgot about that guy!

Oh Michelle, you make me laugh.

Carla said...

OMG I love it!! I had a similarly lengthy crush, though thankfully not an obsession. He was my brother's best friend. He didn't even know until my Senior-ish year when I told him I liked him. He avoided me for a while after that. But we actually were good friends for a bit and even last summer when we both ended up back in our parents' homes with our spouces. And then there was the boyfriend I had. I was in love and there in lied my psychosis - not an obsession, but definitely I was a freak. Thankfully our paths have never crossed!! Chad and I have never talked about him. I kinda want to FB friend him though and say, hey, sorry I was a freak. I'm not so much any more. I won't though ;) Yeah, no wonder it was so hard growing up - all the drama. Good times.

millie said...

If it's any consolation, he and his wife are both very friendly to me, and visa versa. I have her son in my primary class.

Grandma Arnold said...

Had an obsession with a guy in school from second grade through sophomore year. I am so glad we never got together! Hind sight is truly 20/10!