
I have always heard both positive and negative things about the toddler harness or "leash" as most people call it. When I was debating buying one I read as many reviews as I could and one thing I noticed was that almost all the people who reviewed it mentioned the negative comments they got from bystanders about how cruel it is to keep a child on a leash like a dog (most likely people who either had no children or had very mild mannered and VERY obedient children). So, I knew I would potentially encounter someone who would criticize me for being a bad or mean parent. I braced myself for it every time I used it for the longest time. But after a couple years of having it I only got humorous chuckles from passers by (probably people who knew exactly why I my child had one on). No one ever glared at me or had rude comments for me. Eventually I was able to use it without being paranoid about people judging me. Not that I should care if they were/are. I don't really use the thing THAT often. Mainly just in airports or where ever there are large crowds where my child could potentially bolt off and get lost easily.
We now have 2 harnesses. One for each toddler. We took them with us on our trip last weekend. We used them at Busch Gardens, which is where I heard that first negative comment from a passer by who thought the reason my child was throwing a fit was because he was on a "leash". Jacob was screaming and trying to run away because he wanted to go on the little roller coaster AGAIN! Mike had to pull him aside and calm him down and Steph and I kept walking with the flow of traffic as to not slow other people down (okay, we were pretending not to know them). As we were walking a lady, not knowing I was with them, says, "Maybe the poor kid just doesn't want to be on a leash." I wanted to snap back at her and tell her not to knock the leash because it had already saved his life that day. Yes, you heard that right. We were walking through the parking lot and each of us adults had a kid. Steph was holding onto Jacobs leash when he suddenly decided to bolt out from between the two cars we were walking through right into the line of traffic. Thanks to Steph's quick reflexes she pulled tight on his leash and stopped him just short of colliding with a minivan. We later ran into the people in that van in the park and they approached us. The lady says to us, "I bet no one can tell you guys that that leash isn't worth it." She was right. I understand that the harness isn't for every child, but no one can tell me I'm being cruel to my child. I know my child and know he is prone to doing things like that all the time. I got him that harness because I knew it would be a protection to him. So, to that lady at the park, where ever you are...
BITE ME!!!
The End.
11 comments:
We have one of those too and I'm buying another one for Sydney for our trip to CA. I've never gotten any rude comments, just the laughs. I've even had other moms walk up to me and ask where I got it. I think they are genious! If anyone ever says anything about having my kids on a leash, I WILL say something back. Not only is it stopping them from running off, but it also helps to discourage some potential creep taking off with them. It gives me peace of mind having a hold on them without having to constantly be holding their hand, and it gives them limited freedom. :) My girls actually really like wearing them too.
I cannot even begin to count how many times the leash saved derek's life when he was younger :). And for every negative comment, I had 5 people ask where I bought it :).
I did actually say something to her (although, she didn't show any signs of actually hearing me. lol.) But you know how it is when you're taken of guard. I said something to the effect that bad things would probably happen if we took it off. haha. It was one of those situations where you think of the perfect thing to say later. haahaha.
Well said, Michelle. As always. :) Your rants are the best.
Unsolicited Advice stinks!
You stick to what you know works for your children! The next person who says something to you will give you the perfect opporunity to name off the people who think this is a very wise choice!!
I Had a leash when Jayson was a toddler. I loved it. And instead of having to hold on to it I tied it to my belt loop. Then it gave me the freedom of both hands and it gave him freedom at least he felt like he did most the time. I wish they would have had the cute animal ones they have now. None the less they are there to protect the child so who cares what others think.
Every kid is different, and I'm glad you've found something that works for yours! Next time someone says something to you, just say what you did in your post...Bite me! I think they will get the hint ;o)
You're better than I am. I definitely would have said something and it wouldn't have been nice. The other day at the park I saw a lady pushing a dog in a stroller. Really, lady? How is that different than a child on a leash?
I've already thought about getting one for Gideon. He likes to take off in the opposite direction we are going and he likes streets. The people that say things about a leash are the same people that never have a problem spanking their children or smoking in their cars. Next time just punch them. :)
I would have totally said something to her. You should have totally put her in her place. I have one and heck I should probably put it on my child more often!
Amen! Of course, I shouldn't have been letting Jacob run in the parking lot, regardless of whether he was on a leash... sorry!
lol. Steph, totally not your fault. I don't think you could stop the kid from running short of carrying him.
Post a Comment