Monday, December 21, 2009

"SANTA ISN'T REAL!!! They just tell you he is."


Most of you probably read this on my facebook already, but as I was sitting in primary today Santa was mentioned and one little 4 year old sitting just behind me yells out, "SANTA ISN'T REAL! They just tell you he is." Hahahahaha. It was priceless. But it got me to thinking. How do I want to explain Santa at my house. Do I do the traditional thing and tell my kids, "Yes Santa is real and he comes down our chimney and leaves us presents under our tree"? Or, do I explain to them that St. Nick was indeed a real person but is no longer living. But we still give each other presents (or something to that effect).


I have some great Christmas memories as a kid. I remember trying to sneak upstairs every Christmas to peak and see if Santa had come yet. One Christmas I tried to sneak and sleep behind the couch in the living room to sneak a peak. I remember one year staying up with my brothers and sisters discussing whether Santa was real or not. I remember my brother Jeff telling about how my oldest sister told him about a time when she caught a glimpse of Santa. It was a lot of fun. But man, it must be hard work keeping the deception alive. lol.


I can't remember when I found out the truth about Santa, but I wasn't heart broken over it. I didn't care. I was getting a present regardless. But what do I do when my kids come home from church or school upset because so and so said Santa isn't real? On the other hand, do I want my kid to be that kid that spilled the beans?? Christmas was no less magical for me once I knew the truth, but it was sure fun believing.

3 comments:

Sheridy said...

LOL. my sister-in-law sent me that picture on my cell phone saying thats how you save money at the christmas season. But heck ya, you let your kid keep on dreaming and believing. It's part of being a kid and dreaming. I've already had to fix some kid telling my kids that he isn't real. And your kids will believe you any day over the other kid. I think that is one of the greatest things ever, and that is the faith, trust and love that a child has for their parents. because we all kind of know that it would change when they become teenagers. So let them believe.... also it is funner for you to play santa, then it is when they know he isn't real.
Merry Christmas!

brandon and jakell said...

I want my kids to believe as long as possible, kids need to enjoy the spirit and fun of it all for a little while. But it sure is hard with all the different options around.

Anywho send me your address so I can sent you the cards :)

thanks for entering :)

jakellcth(at)msn(dot)com

Merry Christmas!

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

I have no clue what to do about santa. I was putting names on gifts and put from santa on one, but then wanted to take it off cause I DID IT. I bought that gift. It's from ME not some FAT MAN. Not to mention I was one of those santa tragedies. I'll post the story on my blog for our christmas card. We were going to send them out...but its a little late now.