Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Homemade Christmas

I will admit, it has been nice to be able to buy cute little Christmas decorations this year. Like my oh so cute little nativity scene that is currently sitting on my mantle and the fun little snowmen ornaments hanging on my tree. But I have come to the conclusion that the store bought things will never be as fun and as christmasy as the cheapy, little Christmas crafts we do every year. In passed years we did them out of necessity because we couldn't afford anything else. Now, it just wouldn't be Christmas without them. Like the fun paper chain Jacob and I made together... And the paper snowflakes we made yesterday. This is the 3D one I made. The kids made their own snow flakes (the traditional fold and cut ones) and I was hoping to get pictures of them, but they seemed to have disappeared. I am sure I will find a bunch of shredded snowflakes somewhere around here, since my kids are like hamsters and love shredding paper.

While I was looking up instructions for my 3D snowflake, I found these cute paper ornaments on Familyfun.com. (Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE that site. Seriously...LOVE!!!)


This is the craft we did today. And all from things we had around the house. Glue, salt, and pine cones from around the yard. Next year I plan to use colored salt.

The kids loved making these. I rolled the pine cones in the glue and then let them shake, shake, shake away. Jacob particularly like this, because he loves making messes. I have to keep the salt (and pepper) shaker out of his reach at all times, or he will empty the entire thing. Just ask Grandma Chidester. :) He discovered salt shakers while we were visiting a few months ago. He has since emptied a couple of salt shakers here just because I forget to take them off the table after dinner. So he was excited that I was actually encouraging him to do this.

Lizzie had fun too. Ignore the snot bubbles. :)


We have lots more project we plan to do this month. Mostly part of our countdown to Christmas, but I think the one I am looking forward to the most is our yearly gingerbread house and train. We are saving that activity for the week of Christmas when Mary and her family will be here. Yay for homemade Christmases. Christmas just wouldn't be the same any other way.

10 comments:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Yay for paper chains! You should have them make Reindeer now. Trace one of their feet onto brown paper, then trace their hands on darker brown or black paper, Glue the hands at the top of the foot and then add a nose and eyes. We did that with the boys a few days ago and they were in love. It was fun.

Michelle said...

Marisa, I actually saw a similar activity only it involved finger paints. lol. It looked totally cute but messy. I like the tracing on paper idea a lot better.

brandon and jakell said...

super cute snowflakes!!!

brandon and jakell said...

good for you! What a great mom...I am only doing 6 days til xmas :) nothing this fun and exciting though!

Mary said...

I'm getting SOOOOOO excited to come see you guys!!!!!
It cracked me up when I called last night and Mike went silent after I said hello...when asked why he said, "Because I know I'm not the one you want to talk to!"
How funny is that!
Let me know if you want me to bring any candy with us...and I definitely want to make a snowman for my house out of large marshmellows!

Grandma Arnold said...

You are a wonderful, creative, and all around exciting daughter-in-law. My life is sweeter and richer since you graced our family with your sweet spirit!! Love you!

millie said...

I love paper chains. Seeing them always brings back the excitement I felt as a kid when we made them in school at Christmas time. You're making fun memories for your kids.

Debbie said...

Ah, what a good mom you are!! Those are so cute! I especially love the 3-D snowflakes. Alex would like those!

Jenn said...

Just getting around to the chain:) But thanks for all of the ideas! Slowly and surely before Christmas, we will have completed all of them! Thanks again!

brandon and jakell said...

p.s. did you know i have a new blog, after the other one..when I got locked out of it. Its at www.brandonjakellandkids.blogspot.com I noticed you had the link to the old one. just thought i'd let you know.

Super cute blog heading as usual..where do you always find them?