Tuesday, November 8, 2011

20 and Counting

Yes, In case you missed it, the Duggars are expecting baby #20!!! The responses I've seen are pretty mixed. Ranging form shock and horror to excitement for them. I lean towards the latter. And anyone who knows me well, knows why. Here is a wonderful family with, happy, healthy children and a loving mother and father, who love God and see children as a blessing from God. I can see where they are coming from. I see my children the same way. They are a blessing from God and I want lots of them. That's not to say that having lots of children is all peaches. Anyone with even one child, knows what a challenge they can be and the frustrations that often arise. But the happiness they bring into a home far outweighs any of the negatives. Is everyone meant to have 20 children??? No. And no one is saying you should. That is a personal decision that should be made between a couple and the lord. But what I don't understand are the negative responses. Who the heck cares?!? Why do we feel the need to judge? Of course, coming from a big family myself, and loving it, I admit that I am biased. I loved growing up with so many siblings. And I especially appreciate them even more as an adult. My siblings are my best friends. All of them at one point or another has had a positive impact on my life. I've learned a lot from all of them.

As a mother, I am especially grateful for the experience I gained from being part of a big family. I am the middle of 15, so as you can imagine, I had to do some helping out. One of the negative things I've heard regarding the Duggars, is how awful it must be that the older children have to spend so much time helping out with the younger children, and what a burden it must be on them. Watching one of the interviews with some of the older children, they were very clear that they did not see it as a burden and with smiles on their faces expressed how much they loved it. Now, I wasn't considered one of the older ones and didn't have to do a lot of helping out until the youngest was born (that I can remember anyways) But I did do my fair share of babysitting and diaper changing. There were times when I would much rather have been hanging out with my friends than watching my younger siblings. I grew to appreciate the experience as I got older. BUT, now, looking back, WHAT A BLESSING. When I started having my own kids I already had a lot of child care experience under my belt. Not just from watching my siblings, but also from helping out with neices and nephews. (As you can imagine, there are a lot of them as well.) I already knew how to dress and bathe a baby and change diapers. (Cloth diapers at that.) I learned a lot from my parents. Even the things I didn't personally experience, just being able to watch my mother taught me a lot about child rearing. I remember being totally excited when my mom would bring home another baby. So, I'm not surprised to see how excited the Duggar kids are to have yet another little one come into their home. And when you watch the parents as they talk about bringing another baby into the world, you can't help but feel happy for them because they look so happy!! Why is it so surprising that having yet another baby could make them happy? Babies and children bring such a sweet spirit into the home. They are so innocent and fresh from God!

Talking to my mother, and hearing the way she talks about her children, I see first hand how much happiness her children have brought into her life. I once heard her express how sad it would be if she would have stopped at 5 or so. (Since I'm #8, I happen to agree. :-D) And I can't imagine what life would be like without all my siblings. They are all amazing people!

I think it's sad that people who have big families are looked at as being crazy. Why is that? I don't understand. Someone explain that to me. Please.

8 comments:

Kori Kristine said...

I agree with alot of what you said. We have 4 and might have another and people look at me like I'm nuts. Harrison is the oldest of 9 but I come from a family of 2 kids. So we have very different perspectives. I think alot of the mixed reactions including my own are due to the last one's complications for both baby and mother. They seem happy and raising happy children. But that's what I worry about! Nice blog btw...

~kamie~ said...

I, myself, am not one who could handle 20 kids, but I think it's awesome that there are mothers out there that can! I love big families. I always wanted a lot of children. Obviously, due to circumstances, that just isn't going to happen. (please, at least TWO!) But I am all for big families. I think it's awesome that they feel they can have another. I think it's awesome that they have the financial means to do that. All of their kids are so respectful and good kids.

It's kind of weird to me as I grow up and our families move away from extended family gatherings. They don't seem to happen very often anymore. Both of my parents come from relatively large families. When we meet together with just the six of us and our families... it's weird not to have a crowd. I miss the chaos and all the cousins. Sometimes I wish I were part of a larger family. :) Poor Gage. Stuck with just the two of us. We'll be a party.

Mary said...

I am personally so excited for the Duggars! Not everyone can handle that many children, but they thrive & are part of a loving, financially sound, family. Many people keep bringing up the fact that Josie was born so premature & she has been told not to have more children...but how many families have had severely premature, or disabled, babies and went on to have healthy ones. We all need to remember that God has a plan, and he has blessed them once again!

Amanda said...

I just heard the news today from a friend about #20. I think it's great!

I came from a "big" family. I am #3 of 7. And I love it! I have nothing but great memories of my childhood. My parents wanted a big family, and they were/ are great parents. I can't imagine my life with out my siblings. They are my best friends.

But you are right, how can you come from a big family and have nothing but good things to say? Lots of love.

Anaise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anaise said...

(That was me, above; I had such a bad spelling/grammar mistake that I had to delete and redo.)

I think their news is wonderful! They are a sweet, faithful, inspiring family, and children are blessed to join such a family as theirs.

But that reminds me, shouldn't you have news of your own to share by now? Unless you're going into week 42, it seems you should have had a baby recently . . . right?

Michelle said...

Anaise, My due date was yesterday. I'm pretty sure it won't be long now. lol. All signs are pointing to labor starting soon. I'm just waiting for some contractions to start. :-D I'm pretty sure I'll go in the next day or two...fingers crossed!!!

Anaise said...

Oh! We have closer due dates than I thought. I'm at 37 weeks and totally, completely, thoroughly done!!!! The idea of 3 more weeks (or more) actually makes me panic and cry.

Here's hoping you're in labor (or done with it) even as I type!