Monday, November 14, 2011

Dear Lactation Consultant,

I really appreciate your wanting to help. However, it would be great if you didn't send a messenger to discuss my use of a binky, while in a waiting room packed full of people, and assume I'm an idiot. Also, when I say I don't want to talk to a lactation consultant during my hospital stay, don't make your way into my room anyway. The first time I overlooked as a fluke. But when it happened a second and third time, (with later babies) that was just annoying. In the future, if I need your assistance I will be sure to contact you. In the mean time, leave me alone. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Successful breastfeeding mother who uses both a binky AND bottle. (For baby, not myself...just to clarify. :-D)
Back story, you say? Well...

Today, while waiting in the waiting area for my 48 hour, baby, follow up visit, a nurse comes in, sits down next to me and this is the conversation we have.

Nurse: Excuse me ma'am, what is your last name?

(I tell her my last name, thinking she's just verifying who I am so she can tell me they can't get me in, since I was 2 hours late for my appt. (doh))

Nurse: Ms. Arnold, (points to the binki in my hand) I was just wondering, did you get that binki here.

Me: uh...no. I got it at walmart, actually.

Nurse: Oh, okay. Are you breastfeeding?

Me: Yes.

Nurse: Okay, Well, I was sent on a mission by the lactation consultant to talk to you a little bit about how the use of a binky can effect breastfeeding...(or something to that effect)

Me: (instantly annoyed and cutting her off) Yes, well, this is my 4th baby and...

Nurse: (jumps our of her chair) Oh, enough said. I will let her know. I'm very sorry. She saw you holding that binky with her binky radar from waaaaaay over there.

(I look around, can't even see her office. Wow, that's some radar!!!)

She continues to apologize one more time before making a quick exit. Meanwhile, we've got everyone's attention in the waiting room.

Really. REALLY??? UGH!!!

I won't bore you with the details of my previous encounters with pushy LC's. Lets just say, this experience did not improve my opinion of them.

The End.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Uh-oh. Makes me even more nervous to deliver at Womack. I had a pushy LC in the Bay Area too, but not as bad as this.

Anaise said...

I breastfeed and I wish, wish, wish my babies would take binkies, too! I haven't gotten a baby to successfully accept a substitute for me in years. I love binkies!

I'm sorry the lactation consultant annoyed you.

Lisa Brown said...

Just so you know they aren't all like that, my older is sister is a lactation consultant, and would never be pushy like that. She only comes when she is asked for - plus she is an RN in postpartum, and has 5 kids of her own, and knows not to push moms.