Saturday, October 3, 2009

What We've Been Up To

Since Jacob is getting to be preschool age, and we are not sending him to preschool, I decided I better start doing some preschool activities with him. I found a workbook at Walmart the other day and decided to see how he would do with it. Since he really likes for us to go over the alphabet with him, I decided to start with beginning writing. Just simple stuff. Tracing lines and such. I didn't think he'd really trace the lines but decided to see what he would do. It was really interesting to watch him. As you can see from the first page, he traced all of those lines (except the first 2 which I did) and did a pretty good job. The other 2 pages are to help them get used to writing from left to right. He did pretty good on the first page, but by the time he got to the 3rd page he had had enough and just wanted to color. I've never really watched him color. I've seen the end result of pictures he's colored, but it was really fun actually watching him do it. To look at the last page, it's hard to imagine what would be so interesting about scribble, but again, that is the end result. He starts out actually trying to color in the lines and does a pretty good job. He colored all the spiders legs perfectly. He tried really hard to color in the lines of the birds wings as well. But after a while he just starts scribbling. So, you don't really see the progress he has made.



Jacob has yet to figure out buttons, so I went on a hunt for some sort of activity book to help him practice. Unable to find anything I decided to make my own. And just for the fun of it I decided to throw in things he can tie as well. It's not the best looking book, but it was fun to make.

I actually had to dismantle an old shoe to do this one.





I'm hoping this will keep him busy during our trip home next week. We shall see.

Lizzie has given up her baby swing and graduated to big kid swings. She loves it. Jacob still refuses to sit in a swing. He prefers to swing superman style. haha. He also really likes to push Lizzie in the swing. Which is fine with me. :)
We've decided to start weaning Lizzie off the binky. It has made for a very cranky girl. She gets it at nap time and bed time and that's it. She's not at all happy about it. In fact, as I type this post, she is crying for her binky. Poor girl. Earlier today, I found her hiding in a corner with an empty infants tylenol bottle, sucking on the top out of desperation, since I wouldn't give in and give her a binky. It was pretty funny. I'm determined to have her completely off it by the time she turns 2!!!

7 comments:

dust and kam said...

You are so creative.

I think I need lessons.

Crystal said...

Something that helped my niece get off the binkie was cutting the tip off so there is no sucking ability and she give it up herself. You can always try that if you don't mind getting a new one for the baby.

Wendyburd1 said...

Oh my gosh, Michelle those are like the activity books my mom made for US for Sundays!! Buttons and sippers and laces, all those things and they were our fave thing to look forward to during sacrament!! We still have them, they are treasures!!

Felisha said...

I love that activity book. I need to make some of those. If you want to visit my blog to go: blog.hurstmanor.com
I hope all is well.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Wow Mikey and Jacob are getting SO big. We decided to put mikey in his own room this week. We almost have the office completly cleaned out. But we're putting him in his own room so he can start wearing underwear to bed. Who knows how it's going to turn out.

Those pictures are so adorable. I wish you guys could come out here for halloween. That would be awesome. Hope you're feeling good!

Grandma Arnold said...

You are a great mother!! Jacob is doing so well! Go Lizzie; she is so cute on the swing. Never had to wean off the binkie; good luck with it, as I am sure she will be off it by college age. lol

Jen said...

I love your activity book! I can't sew at all so I would just purchase a book like that instead of attempting to make one. Don't you just love when your kids can play together and occupy themselves-it's heaven!