
And you thought I was joking about that new treadmill. Well, I wasn't. This isn't actually the treadmill we got...at least I don't think. To be honest, I neither know nor care. It's a treadmill, I can turn it on and it works. That's all I care about. I was just going to get a used one off craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, but Mike is a little more picky than me. He did some research and evidently no one on craigslist had one he liked. He ended up finding one at Sam's Club for a pretty stinking good deal. He kept asking me, "what do you think of this one or that one?" I don't know why he bothered asking me. I thought, "does it have a power button? Does it have a motor? Okay then."
I have been wanting one forever. Why, because I can put it in a room, put up a safety gate so the kids can't get in and run to my hearts content without kids underfoot. Seriously, have you EVER tried to work out with toddlers around. I have several good workout videos, Wii fit, and Wii active. All great tools. Unfortunately, my TV is in the living room and there is no way to keep kids out. They seem to think it's hilarious when mom works out. They see me start to jump and dance around the room like a crazy lady and think it's hilarious. Next thing you know they are trying to join in, which is cute and all, but then I start tripping over them and they think it's hilarious to try and run between my legs. It turns into a game for them that ends with me getting a sprained ankle...or landing on my face. So, I give up and consign myself to being a fatty forever...which leads to me consoling myself with a carton of ice cream. Good times.
Sure I could run outside...in the heat, with 2 kids in a jogging stroller and one...well...I don't know what I'd do with the other one. For a while I was running outside after Mike got home. It worked out pretty well, until my paranoia started kicking in. We all know my feelings about wooded areas and there are LOTS of wooded areas around here. I start thinking, "how many dead bodies are hidden in there. Someone could be watching and waiting for the slow fatty to bounce by, knowing I'd never be able to outrun them, drag me into the trees and well...who knows." So then I started making Mike follow me in the van. I just felt stupid doing that. And did I mention the heat? And the HUMIDITY?? Have you ever tried running when it's hot and humid? You can't even poor water on your head to cool off. It does nothing. So, again, I would just give up and eat more ice cream. (Go ahead, call me a wimp. I'm okay with it.)
The treadmill in the separate room is the perfect solution. I can work out in one room, watch the kids playing in the other room, have a fan blowing directly on me, watch a movie (because the computer is in that room) or read a book...it's perfect.
Mike finished putting it together last night and I made him try it out to make sure it wasn't going to eat me or anything. This morning I got to try it out for myself. It. was. awesome! I got a 30 minute workout and only had to stop a few times to put kids in time out for fighting. Happy, happy, HAPPY DAY!!! Now back to my 5k training. It's been 3 months since I gave up training for it. I was almost to 3 miles. Today I barely made it 1.5. So I have some catching back up to do. So excited.
Now you will all excuse me while I go eat some ice cream...you know, to celebrate. :)
8 comments:
WooHoo! So happy for you, and secretly jealous. Since it's no longer 100 everyday, I've been able to take the boys to the park with me...but Cooper is starting to whine after only 2 laps. But I'm not giving up! I have a Ball to go to mid Dec, and I refuse to buy another gown when I have 6 in my closet...just gotta fit back into them!
Wow. I think I could have written this post, only switched out freezing weather for the hot and humid. Who really wants to run in 0 degree weather with ice covering the ground, so you fall with every other step? Allen loves to do yoga with me, but as you stated, it's not much of a workout when you are dealing with toddlers at the same time.
You are a riot! I feel the same way. I was elated when i got a treadmill off my sister. i strapped that sucker into my trunk, drove it 5 hours home, giddy all the way. it feels so good to not have to pay for a gym and still be impervious to the rain, heat, or snow. and yes, those woods are totally scary! Evenings are crazy anyway. and it's impossible to exercise with toddlers around! i tried pilates with them jumping over, under and through my legs. though mine like to throw toys onto the treadmill and watch me jump over them... baby gate, good idea. and when they find out you'll stop to put them in time out, the fighting will abate a bit. so have your ice cream, b/c it's definitely something to celebrate!
Treadmill yay! If you get a good workout music routine going, let me have it! I can't ever seem to find the right muscic!
I'm so jealous you have an extra room to set it up in! I could put up a gate but Ian knows how to climb it, so that is a bust. I can't wait to see how great you look in a few weeks!
WOo-HooooOOO!!!! So excited for you!!!!
AWESOME!!!!! So happy for you!!!!! I've done the same routine of trying to lose weight, but can't with kids under foot, fighting, etc... and instead turn to ice cream...you had me LMBO!
I hear you about the trying to work out with toddlers. I cannot even count how many times I almost kicked them in the head or bashed them with a weight. The fact that they are older is the only reason I work out on a regular basis now :).
Post a Comment