Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hmmmm...

I got an email from a guy who got some massage certificates for his birthday last year and I don't quite know what to make of it. He says,

"Hi Michelle,My wife Kirstin purchased 2 massages for me last August for my Birthday. I found them when we were moving, and called your number to find it had been disconnected. I am sad to say that since we have moved to Denver and you have moved to ------? I am unable to enjoy my birthday massage. Please e-mail me back or call me to see what we can do about our unused massages."

I remember selling her the certificates, very nice girl. However, My gift certificates expire exactly one year from the date of purchase. I put the expiration date right on there. So if he found them when he was moving they were probably expired, if not real close. Also, my # never changed and was never disconnected. All my certificates have the same # on them and no one else has ever had a problem getting through. I also include a business card in the envelope with the certificate which has my phone # and email address on it, which is how I assume he was able to email me just now. If I sold them last August they are for sure expired by now. So why didn't he email me last month??? So, I am kinda wondering if he found these certificates, realized they were going to, or were already expired and decided to see if he could get his money back by telling me he couldn't get ahold of me. What do you think...and what do you think I should do??? See my poll to the right. :)

(Edited to add...yes, I am still thinking about this)
Also, even if there was no expiration date, should I still be expected to refund his money when he waited until he was moving to do something? Should I be expected to sit on that money for who knows how long, just in case he forgets to redeem them before it's to late???

15 comments:

Brittany Marie said...

Ok I think you should say this:

Dear [Dude]:
As stated on the tickets, they expire one year after purchase, which in your case would have been [date]. I am sorry to hear that you have moved and were having trouble contacting me- my phone number is still the same [restate phone number] and has not been disconnected. I am willing to extend your expiration date until [date] and the tickets can be redeemed if you happen to be in town. I'm sorry for the inconvienence. ~Michelle.

?? I don't know. Maybe that way he will see that you're trying to accomodate him, even though there is proof he didn't redeem them in time.

Michelle said...

oh...that's good. I have to write this down.

dust and kam said...

I think that Brittany has a great idea. :) She's got my vote.

Brittany Marie said...

Hey, I went and got the same "stalker" blinkie thing for my blog. I hope you don't mind!

Michelle said...

That's funny. I actually thought of you and Kamie when I found it. Cause you both have lots of blog stalkers. haha.

Michelle said...

Okay this what I emailed back to him...

Hey [Dude],
I am really sorry to hear that you have moved and were having troubles contacting me. I am still in Kansas City and my phone # is still ###-###-####, and has not been disconnected. All of my gift certificates have an expiration date of one year after purchase. If they were purchased August of last year then they would have expired August 31st of this year, however I would be willing to extend the expiration date 6 months so you can redeem them when you are in town. Or, if you know of someone else here who would like to use them, they are transferrable. If you decide to give them to someone else, then I would just need to know the name and phone # of that person. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I hope we can work something out.

Michelle

I wonder if I will hear back from him.

Brittany Marie said...

Wow, that sounds great! So professional! I bet he was hoping you were going to refund his money. Oh well.

I have blog stalkers cause I stalk other blogs! I wish I had as many as Kristina has... one day, one day.
Check out her blog (and Mary's), I think you'll love their sense of humor.
www.adamandkristinapulsipher.blogspot.com
www.myglobofblog.blogspot.com

Jolynn said...

Yeah, you are way too nice! I would have told him to stick it and not felt one bit bad about it!

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie said...

I think you chose the best option. It's reasonable and fair for everyone and hopefully he won't be a big poop and cause problems. (i.e. since the coupons aren't expired anymore, I want my money back?) He can sell (or give) the coupons to someone else and still get his money's worth.

Maybe you could add some lines of small print to your coupons to say something to the effect of "refunds only within 90 days from date of purchase" and "coupons are not redeemable for cash". Those are both typical disclaimers and it might be good just to cover yourself if something similar happens in the future. However, you are definitely not expected to sit on that money past the expiration date of the coupon!!

I think he's totally making up the garbage about not being able to get a hold of you so that he can try to get his money back...and if that's the case, then the big fat liar pants should be told "too bad so sad" and not even get an extension! It would have been better for him to be honest and up front and just say, "Wow, I just found these massage certificates. I'd totally forgotten about them and now they're expired and we've moved. Is there anything you can do?" The answer still might be "I'm sorry but no", but he'd get a lot more sympathy from me...not that sympathy from me would make any difference, but still.

Grandma Arnold said...

He is such a dufus!! Of course he does not get anything for expired gift cards!!!

Mary said...

Someone gave me a certificate for some Glamour shots, which I misplaced, then found...so I called them and they said they were expired. So I left it at that. Don't feel bad, you have already done far beyond what most people would do!

Love the music by the way ;-)
I have "Hey ya" as my generic ring tone on my phone.

Michelle said...

Ya, I had to put "Hey ya" on there, cause Jacob loves it. :)

Brittany Marie said...

Where did my face go on your Followers list? I'm a creepy shadow head!!

Hey- I just got that book on Joseph Smith today. The one that is about that supposed "new" photograph/ daguerrotype of him. I'll let you know what I think!

I'm also waiting for your Mo or No-Mo answers. LOL!

Brittany Marie said...

OK, one more thing and I'll stop commenting on your blog (today). How do you change the wording, where it says how many comments you have? Yours says "14 comments from the peanut gallery". Mine says "0 Comments". I need to find out how I can put something smarmy there.