Wednesday, December 22, 2010

And we thought he was lying.

A few days ago, Jacob came excitedly down the stairs exclaiming, "Mommy, I pooped in the potty". Mike and I looked at each other a little sceptical, yet hopeful as we follow him upstairs to the bathroom. He points to the potty, but as we peer in we only see a bowl still refilling with water after being flushed. "Did you really poop in the potty, buddy?" I ask. "Ya, I did, I pooped in the potty." Not wanting to assume he's lying and discourage him from doing it again if he is telling the truth, we congratulate him, do a happy dance and reward him, but tell him we want to see next time he does it, and not to flush. The next day, same thing happens, and he takes me by the hand to show me the potty, but all I find is a freshly flushed toilet. "Jacob, I can't see it if you flush. Next time come get me before you flush." Pointing to the tank he tells me, "just look in there." I laugh and explain to him, "that's not where it goes". I decide to check his bum for "residue" and find nothing. At this point I'm having serious doubts, but he's so earnest about it, and he's usually very honest, Mike and I just don't know what to think. The next morning when I go to change him out of his night pull up, I find he's pooped in it. I finally draw the conclusion that he's lying about pooping in the potty. I make him clean himself up and stick him in the shower for a rinse (which he hates) and walk away convinced he's never going to be potty trained.

That was a couple days ago. Today while I was getting ready to bathe Lizzie, Jacob comes into the bathroom and tells me he is going to poop in the potty. He sits and pees and waits a minute, and when nothing happens he gives up and leaves the bathroom. Fast forward a couple hours, he once again come to me and says, "Momma, come see, I pooped in the potty." I follow him to the bathroom, praying he really did it, but having serious doubts. I walk into the bathroom half expecting to see he'd flushed, but nope. Sure enough, there was poop in there!!! I had him flush and we did a happy dance. I've been doing random happy dances ever since. Oh happy, happy day. I guess he wasn't lying after all!

4 comments:

Sheridy said...

Wahoo!! I hope he keeps it up now that he sees how happy you are. And your right, there is a lot of joy, and relieve when you see a child poop in the toilet.

Momma Sarah said...

YEAH JACOB!!!!!!!! (You must have secretly watched that episode of SuperNanny, huh?) LOL! Doing the happy dance with you!!!!!!!

Anaise said...

I so love that seeing poop in the potty is so exciting . . . the best gift a small boy can give his mom!

Marisa said...

hahaha! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! Triumph! I'd be dancing all day too! "oh so la mi oh! dont know the words, we all are happy. cause of Jacobs turds!"