I guess I just don't get it. For the last few years it has hit the news and every year I am baffled as to why it's even an issue. What am I talking about, you are wondering? The Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays debate, or "the war on Christmas" as I've frequently heard it called. I just don't understand why people have such an issue saying "happy holidays". People have been saying it for YEARS and all of the sudden people see it as not recognizing Christmas?!? Last I checked, Christmas
is a holiday. What is so wrong with including
all holidays? Not everyone shopping at Walmart (or wherever) is celebrating Christmas. True, Christmas is in December, but it's not the
only holiday. Some people are celebrating Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. What's wrong with wishing them happy holidays? I don't feel like Christianity is being attacked by saying it. I don't feel personally offended because my religious views aren't being singled out. Okay, I had an issue when they wanted to change it to a "holiday tree" instead of a Christmas tree. Because the tree is specific to Christmas, but so far that is the ONLY thing I've had a problem with.
I know what some of you are thinking (because I've heard this before as well), "but Michelle, if a sign has Christmas trees on it, it should say 'Merry Christmas', because otherwise you are not acknowledging Christmas". Here's what I say to that. Just putting a Christmas tree on a sign, is acknowledging Christmas. And again...CHRISTMAS IS A HOLIDAY!! I see nothing wrong with a "Happy Holidays" sign that has Christmas trees and stockings on it. So, I'm sorry, but I won't be boycotting any stores over this. And, I'd like to wish you all...
6 comments:
I totally agree!!! Also, Happy Holidays could mean Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Happy New Year.
I'd like to wish everyone out there Happy Holidays. Shoot me.
I have so had this exact thought on my mind.
How funny!
Happy Holidays! :)
I agree that there is nothing wrong with using the phrase "Happy Holidays", like you said, its been used for along time. The only things I find interesting are those like the "Holiday tree" thing you mentioned, which seems to happen with other things specific to Christmas. Its funny when stores refuse to use the word "Christmas" on things because they're afraid to offend someone, even when it is something specific to Christmas. Although I won't boycott stores that use "Happy Holidays", I don't think I'll be buying a "Holiday tree" anytime soon. :)
I still prefer "Merry Christmas," but I understand your point. Well said!
It's like you're in my head or something ;o)
How funny :). And I think that an issue some people had, was that stores told their employees specifically NOT to say Merry Christmas - which is just stupid. I think people should be free to say either.
Post a Comment