(Here's another good blog on the subject that I found. [Thanks Holly. :)])
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Just Another Controversial Topic
I know this is a controversial topic, but most of these topics can't really be avoided at present. All sorts of things are popping up about my religion and hitting the media. Today I came across this blog post that I thought was really great. Some people might not think it's great though. I'll admit it's hard not to cringe. I think we as members of the church are scared to admit that maybe we aren't perfect. I mean, we know we aren't perfect, but we almost feel we have to be, or people around us will take our mistakes as proof that we are sad, misguided, people that have been sucked into this wacky religion. (Lets face it, many do.) I recently had this conversation with Mike about the imperfections of our church leaders. They never claim to be perfect. As much as we love and respect them, we don't worship them. We worship our father in heaven and his son Jesus Christ who ARE perfect. No prophet has EVER claimed to be perfect. They all make mistakes. They are not all knowing. They come to conclusions that are sometimes incorrect. They oft times realize the incorrectness of some of those conclusions and many times will tell you they were wrong. (I might add too, that they never claim that those speculations are doctrine. They are very clear about what is direct revelation from God. The proclamation on the family for example, direct revelation from God.) There is a difference between ideas they get and actual revelation in regards to church doctrine. In this blog post, it talks about the Blacks and the priesthood. For a long time, church members would try and explain away, or justify why black members of the church were denied the priesthood. I think we felt we could not admit a mistake. We had to pass it off as God not allowing it at the time for some unknown reason (which may be true, who knows). We couldn't just admit that it was a time in life, when prejudice was strong. WE were the ones not allowing it to happen. Now, this is all speculation on my part. I don't know all the details behind it all. But I would like to think that we are not above admitting we are not perfect. It goes back to the ol' saying, "the gospel is perfect, people are not". Just because I am not perfect, does not mean the gospel is not true or that this church that I belong to is not true. I believe with my whole heart and soul that The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints is the true church on earth today. That we do in fact have the fullness of the gospel. I've studied, I've pondered, I've prayed and I've received that personal confirmation that comes only through the spirit. So for me, it doesn't matter what mistakes people make within the church. My testimony will never be shaken. (As long as I continue to study, ponder and pray.) Still, my heart does go out to those who have had bad experienced with member of this faith. I pray that they too will remember that we are not perfect, and that no one is, and instead of looking at those mistakes, look at what we have to offer, and that is the gospel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Such a sincere and genuine post. You are a person that people can feel comfortable around because of your openness.
Post a Comment